Daily Current Affairs – 26 April 2023
This post contains the current affairs for 26 April 2023. These current affairs are important for banking exams, insurance exams and other competitive exams like IBPS PO and Clerk, SBI PO and Clerk, RBI Assistant and Grade B, etc. You can also attempt our Current Affairs Quiz after reading our daily current affairs.
Mana village on India-China border in UK’s Chamoli district declared as ‘India’s first village’ by BRO
- The Border Road Organisation (BRO) of India has put up a signboard saying ‘India’s first village’ in Mana, a village in Uttarakhand.
- The Mana village is on the India-China border in Chamoli District.
- This decision is based on the initiative by PM Modi to declare all border villages in the country as the first villages and not the last as they are usually called.
- Mana village is situated near Himalayan temple, Badrinath. Devotees going to the temple usually go up to the village for sightseeing.
Kerala Government launches ‘One Panchayat, One Playground’ to revive sports culture
- The Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan has launched a project dubbed as ‘One Panchayat, One Playground’ for reviving the sports culture in the State, by opening quality playgrounds in every panchayat of the southern state.
- The project will address the lack of quality playgrounds in around 450 local bodies in the State and these playgrounds will serve as a hub of local gatherings and social interactions.
- The playgrounds under the project will be built within three years. For the first phase of the project, 113 panchayats have been selected.
- As per the project, each playground would cost around Rs 1 crore. Half of this would be borne by the Sports department and the rest would be raised from the MLA and local body funds, through CSR, public private partnerships.
Khongjom Day observed in Manipur
- In Manipur, the Khongjom Day was observed on April 23, 2023 at Khongjom in Thoubal district.
- The day remembers the battle fought in 1891 Anglo Manipuri War.
- The colonial British army, well equipped with modern weapons, started war with the people of the hills and valley of Manipur.
- AS a consequence many sacrificed their lives in an act of protecting the sovereign status of Kangleipak, the ancient name of Manipur.
- The Khongjom war shows the sacrificial spirit of the youth who could give up their lives for the motherland with a brave smile on their faces.
Australia will host QUAD leadership summit in Sydney in May 2023
- Australia will be hosting the Quad Leadership Summit on May 24, 2023 in Sydney. This will be the first time that Australia will host the summit.
- The meeting will be attended by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, US President Joe Biden, Prime Minister Kishida Fumio of Japan and Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.
- The Australia Summit will be the fourth Quad leaders’ summit and the third held in person meet. The previous in-person meeting was hosted by Japan in Tokyo in 2022.
- Key discussions will be held on how to deepen cooperation on issues that matter to the people of the Indo-Pacific, including critical and emerging technologies, high-quality infrastructure, global health, climate change, maritime domain awareness and other pressing issues.
- QUAD stands for the Quadrilateral Security Dialogue.
- It was set up in 2017 by the US, Australia, India and Japan to develop a strategy to keep critical sea routes in the Indo-Pacific region free of any influence.
Mongolia’s first oil refinery being built with Indian aid
- In Mongolia, India is helping to finance and construct country’s first greenfield oil refinery in the capital Ulaanbaatar.
- The cost of the Mongol Oil Refinery project is estimated at $1.35 billion
- The project is proposed to be completed by 2025.
- The refinery would help Mongolia to meet 70% of its oil demand domestically.
- Currently Mongolia is entirely dependent on Russia for its energy imports. This refinery will help the country to reduce its dependency on Russian fuel.
- Once completed, the Mongol Refinery will be able to process 30,000 barrels of crude oil per day or 1.5 million tonnes annually.
Canara Bank Partners Reserve Bank Innovation Hub Leveraging Technology to simplify 15 G-15H Submission for senior citizens
- Bangalore-based public sector lender Canara Bank, has launched “Digitalised Submission of Form 15G/15H”, in collaboration with Reserve Bank Innovation Hub (RBIH).
- The new solution will enable all Deposit
- holders, including Senior citizens, to easily submit their Tax waiver forms through SMS and Website (with their registered mobile number), Any Time Any Where.
- It must be noted that Form 15G (Individual and HUF) and Form 15H (Individual-Senior Citizen) are self-declaration forms, submitted by an individual submits to the bank requesting not to deduct TDS on interest income, since their income is below the basic exemption limit. Providing PAN is compulsory for this.
- Canara bank currently accept these forms through online Banking/ Mobile banking.
- Many Senior citizens are not well versed with Internet / Mobile banking applications and so they stand in long queues all day to make submissions of these Tax waiver forms in the bank branches.
- RBIH (Reserve Bank Innovation Hub) is a blueprint to address the above issue. Instead of using Mobile/Internet banking, the forms can now be submitted through SMS/Website.
NASSCOM appoints Anant Maheshwari as new Chairperson
- The National Association of Software and Service Companies (NASSCOM) has appointed Anant Maheshwari as its Chairperson for the year 2023-24.
- Anant Maheshwari is the President & CEO at Microsoft India.
- In his previous tenure, Mr. Maheshwari was the vice-president of the NASSCOM.
- He replaces Krishnan Ramanujam, who heads business and technology services at Tata Consultancy Services.
- Apart from this, Rajesh Nambiar, Chairman and MD, Cognizant India, has been appointed as the Vice Chairperson for 2023-24.
Sifan Hassan and Kelvin Kiptum wins London Marathon 2023
- Kelvin Kiptum of Kenya has won the 2023 London Marathon in men’s category, with the second fastest record time of 2 hours, 1 minute, 25 seconds.. The marathon was held on April 23, 2023.
- The 23-year-old Kenyan runner finished the race just 16 seconds slow than the world record set by Eliud Kipchoge in 2022 at Berlin Marathon at 2:01:09.
- In women’s category, Ethiopia-born Dutch distance-running champion Sifan Hassan won by finishing the marathon in 2:18:33.
International Chernobyl Disaster Remembrance Day: 26 April
- The International Chernobyl Disaster Remembrance Day is observed every year on April 26.
- The day aims to raise awareness of the consequences of the 1986 Chernobyl disaster and the risks of nuclear energy in general.
- The United Nations (UN) proclaimed the day on April 26, 2016 that marked 30th anniversary of the 1986 nuclear disaster.
- On this day in 1986, a reactor exploded at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in Ukraine with devastating consequences.
Punjab’s ex-Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal passes away at 95
- Former Chief Minister of Punjab, Parkash Singh Badal has passed away. He was 95.
- Mr. Badal had served as the 8th Chief Minister of Punjab.
- He was the CM of Punjab for 5 times, from 1970 to 1971, from 1977 to 1980, from 1997 to 2002, and from 2007 to 2017.
- He was the patron of Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD), a Sikh-centered regional political party.
- Apart from this, he had served as the 11th Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare in the Morarji Desai ministry from 1977 to 1977.
Click Here For Daily Current Affairs