Daily Current Affairs – 22 April 2023
This post contains the current affairs for 22 April 2023. These current affairs are important for banking exams, insurance exams and other competitive exams like IBPS PO and Clerk, SBI PO and Clerk, RBI Assistant and Grade B, etc. You can also attempt our Current Affairs Quiz after reading our daily current affairs.
Ministry of Civil Aviation launches Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik (Udan) 5.0
- The Ministry of Civil Aviation launched the fifth round of the Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS) UDAN 5.0 on April 21, 2023
- The fifth round of Ude Desh Ka Aam Nagrik (UDAN) or Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCS), will focus on Category-2 (20-80 seats) and Category-3 (more than 80 seats) aircraft operations.
- UDAN 5.0 will connect more than 50 wildlife and tourist destinations.
- The scheme was launched in 2017 to enhance the connectivity to remote and regional areas of the country through air service.
- The first aircraft under UDAN Scheme was launched from Shimla to Delhi in April 2017.
ISRO successfully launches Singaporean satellite TeLEOS-2 into orbit onboard PSLV
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully placed two Singapore satellites into the intended orbit recently for earth observation.
- The satellites were launched onboard Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota.
- It was the 57th mission of the PSLV.
- The primary satellite among the two was TeLEOS-2. It is a synthetic aperture radar (SAR) satellite developed to support the satellite image requirements of the Government of Singapore. It shall provide all-weather day and night coverage.
- The co-passenger satellite was Lumelite-4. It is an advanced 12U satellite developed for the technological demonstration of the High-Performance Space-borne VHF data Exchange System (VDES).
- The launch was part of the order secured by NewSpace India Ltd, the commercial arm of ISRO.
Reliance Industries is India’s largest company on the basis of market capitalisation (₹15.89 lakh crore)
- ITC Limited has surpassed HDFC to become the seventh largest company in India on the basis of market capitalisation, on April 21, 2023.
- Currently, Reliance Industries is India’s most valued company with a market capitalisation of ₹15.89 lakh crore.
- Read more here
India ranks 38th, Singapore tops in World Bank’s Logistic Performance Index 2023
- India has been ranked at 38th position among 139 countries in the World Bank’s Logistic Performance Index 2023, which is a measure of countries’ ability to move goods across borders with speed and reliability.
- India has improved its ranking by 6 places, than its previous rank of 44 in 2018.
- The Logistics Performance Index by World Bank helps developing countries to identify where improvements can be made to boost competitiveness.
- Singapore has topped the index. It is followed by Finland at second position.
2023 Locked Shields cyber-defense exercise held in Tallinn by NATO
- NATO conducted the world’s largest cyber defence exercise named ‘Locked Shields-2023’ in Tallinn, Estonia from April 18 to April 21, 2023.
- The four-day exercise saw participation of more than 3,000 IT-specialists from 38 nations.
- The event is organised every year since 2010, by NATO Cooperative Cyber Defense Center of Excellence (CCDCOE).
- The purpose of this exercise is to boost the strategical and technical abilities of the participants in fighting cyber attacks.
- It enables cyber security experts to enhance their skills in defending national IT systems and critical infrastructure under real-time attacks.
Evgeniy Maloletka wins World Press Photo of the Year award
- Ukrainian journalist and photographer, Evgeniy Maloletka, from the Associated Press has won the World Press Photo of the Year award for 2023.
- He has won the image, which shows Iryna Kalinina, a 32-year-old wounded pregnant being carried on a stretcher by emergency workers, through the shattered grounds of a maternity hospital in the Ukrainian city of Mariupol, that was damaged during a Russian airstrike.
- The annual photo contest is awarded by World Press Photo Foundation which rewards photographers for the best single exposure pictures contributing to the past year of visual journalism.
Former India tennis player Jaidip Mukerjea releases his autobiography ‘Crosscourt’
- Legendary Indian tennis player Jaidip Mukerjea has come out with his autobiography titled “Crosscourt”.
- The book brings out the journey of Mukerjea, in which he shares his life experiences of tennis career, which may act as motivation for future generations to take up the sport.
International Mother Earth Day 2023: 22 April
- International Mother Earth Day (also referred as World Earth Day) is celebrated every year on 22 April to raise awareness about the need to safeguard the environment
- The theme of 2023 International Mother Earth Day is “Invest in Our Planet”.
- The day teaches us that the Earth and its ecosystems are our home and that it is necessary to promote harmony with nature and the Earth.
- The day was established in 2009 by the United Nations General Assembly.
Click Here For Daily Current Affairs