Roadmap for Banking of the Future
Daily Current Affairs – 03 & 04 May 2023
This post contains the current affairs for 03 & 04 May 2023. These current affairs are important for banking exams, insurance exams and other competitive exams like IBPS PO and Clerk, SBI PO and Clerk, RBI Assistant and Grade B, etc. You can also attempt our Current Affairs Quiz after reading our daily current affairs.
UGC launches ‘CU-Chayan’ portal for faculty recruitment in Central varsities
- The University Grant Commission (UGC) Chairman M Jagadesh Kumar launched the Central University Faculty recruitment portal CU-Chayan, which is completely user-friendly.
- CU-Chayan is a unified recruitment portal, designed and developed specifically for recruitment of the faculties in Central Universities.
Telangana introduces Rs 5 lakh insurance scheme for toddy tappers
- The state government of Telangana, led by Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao has planned to introduce a new insurance scheme for toddy tappers, under the name ‘Geetha Karmikula Bhima’.
- AS per the scheme, an insurance money of Rs 5 lakh would be deposited directly in the bank account of the respective family members in case any toddy tapper dies accidentally while collecting toddy from palm trees in the fields.
- The insurance amount would be disbursed within a week.
Indian Navy participates in inaugural ASEAN-India Maritime Exercise (AIME-2023) in Singapore
- The inaugural ASEAN-India Maritime Exercise (AIME-2023) is being held from 02 to 08 May 2023 in Singapore.
- The Harbour Phase of the exercise was held at Changi Naval Base from 02 to 04 May 2023.
- The Sea Phase will be conducted on 07 and 08 May 2023 in the South China Sea.
- From India, the Indian Naval Ship (INS) Satpura and INS Delhi are participating. INS Delhi is India’s first indigenously-built guided missile destroyer and INS Satpura is an indigenously-built guided missile stealth frigate
- AIME 2023 will provide an opportunity for Indian Navy and ASEAN navies to work together closely and conduct seamless operations in the maritime domain.
- The Indian ships will also participate in International Maritime Defence Exhibition (IMDEX-23) and International Maritime Security Conference (IMSC) being hosted by Singapore.
India ranks 161 in 2023 World Press Freedom Index; Norway tops
- India has slipped by 11 positions, to be ranked at 161st position among 180 countries in the 2023 World Press Freedom Index.
- In 2022, India’s rank was at 150.
- The index is released annually by the global media watchdog Reporters Without Borders (RSF), to evaluate the press freedom situation in 180 countries and territories.
- Norway has achieved the first position for the seventh consecutive year on the 2023 World Press Freedom Index.
- It is followed by Ireland, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Netherlands, Lithuania, Estonia, Portugal and Timor-Leste among top 10 countries.
- The last three position has been occupied by Vietnam (178), China (179) and North Korea (180).
NTPC Group’s total installed capacity reaches 72,304 MW with first overseas capacity addition in Bangladesh
- The state-owned NTPC Ltd has marked its first overseas capacity addition with the installation of Unit-1 of project named Maitree Super Thermal Power Plant (MSTPP) in Rampal, Mongla, Bagerhat, Bangladesh.
- The project has two units of 660 MW capacity each (1320 MW (2×660)).
- With the new addition, thbe total Installed Capacity of NTPC Group has reached to 72304 MW.
- The MSTPP project was executed in collaboration with the Bangladesh-India Friendship Power Company Pvt Ltd. (BIFPCL), a foreign joint venture company of NTPC Ltd.
Indian-American business leader Ajay Banga selected as World Bank President to replace David Malpass in June 2023
- The former CEO of Mastercard, Ajay Banga, has been named as the new President of the World Bank for a five-year term. His term will begin from June 2, 2023.
- The Indian-origin Ajay Banga will succeed incumbent chief David Malpass, who plans to step down on June 01, 2023.
- The 63-year-old Banga is currently serving as vice chairman at equity firm General Atlantic.
Margherita Della Valle is new CEO of Vodafone Group
- Vodafone Group Plc has named Margherita Della Valle as its new Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
- She replaces Nick Read who stepped down in December 2022.
- She is also the Chief Financial Officer of Vodafone Group.
Amitabh Kant authors book titled “Made In India: 75 Years of Business and Enterprise”
- Indian bureaucrat and former chief executive officer of NITI Aayog, Amitabh Kant, has come out with a book titled “Made in India: 75 Years of Business and Enterprise”.
- This book sheds light on the second-generation economic reforms which began in 2014 and provides deep insights to the policies and people behind the disruptive new age start-ups and their unicorn-plus versions that are unleashing the entrepreneurial zeal among Indian youths.
Cristiano Ronaldo is world’s highest-paid athlete in Forbes’ 2023 list
- According to the latest Forbes’ highest-paid athletes list in 2023, Portuguese football star Cristiano Ronaldo is the world’s highest-paid athlete, with earning of $136 million.
- The report states that world’s ten highest-paid athletes collectively made $1.11 billion before taxes and agents’ fees over the last 12 months, the highest total ever.
- With an earning of $130 million, Argentine professional footballer Lionel Messi is second highest paid athlete.
- French professional footballer, Kylian Mbappé is third with total earning estimated at $120 million.
Legendary SA fast bowler Shabnim Ismail announces retirement from all forms of international cricket
- South African fast bowler Shabnim Ismail has announced her retirement from international cricket.
- Ismail is the quickest bowler in the women’s game.
- She has played a total of 241 international matches and took 317 wickets across all formats.
- In ODIs, she claimed 191 wickets, which is second only to India’s Jhulan Goswami (255), and 123 wickets in T20 internationals.
Luca Brecel beats Mark Selby to win maiden World Snooker Championship 2023
- Belgium’s Luca Brecel has become the first European player to win 2023 World Snooker Championship. This was his first world title.
- He defeated Mark Selby of England with an 18-15 win.
The tournament was held from 15 April to 1 May 2023 at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield, England
Olympic gold medal-winning sprinter Tori Bowie passes away at 32
- American track and field athlete, Tori Bowie, has passed away. She was 32.
- Tori primarily competed in the long jump, 100 meters, and 200 m.
- She won 100m silver medal and 200m bronze at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- She claimed 100m bronze and 100m gold at the 2015 and 2017 World Championships in Athletics respectively.
- She also won gold medals in the women’s 4 × 100 m relays at both the 2016 Olympic Games and 2017 World Championships.
Popular comedian-director Manobala passes away at 69
- Veteran South comedian actor, director and producer Manobala has passed away, due to health issues. He was 69.
- Manobala was known for his work in the Tamil film industry.
- His official name was Balachander.
- Manobala was his stage name.
World Press Freedom Day: 03 May
- The World Press Freedom Day is observed on May 3 annually to raise awareness of the importance of freedom of the press and remind governments of their duty to respect and uphold the right to freedom of expression.
- The Day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in December 1993.
- The theme of World Press Freedom Day 2023 is “Shaping a Future of Rights: Freedom of Expression as a Driver for All Other Human Rights”
International Firefighters’ Day: 04 May
- The International Firefighters’ Day (IFFD) is observed on May 4 every year since 1999, to recognise and honour the sacrifices that firefighters make to ensure that their communities and environment are as safe as possible.
- The day was instituted, after the deaths of five firefighters in tragic circumstances in a bushfire in Australia on 2 December 1998.
National Coal Miners Day: 04 May
- In India, the Coal Miners Day is celebrated on May 4 every year, to recognize the hard work of some of the great unsung heroes of Industrial Revolution.
- The day aims to show appreciation for the coal miners and honour their accomplishments, who spend most of the days digging, tunnelling and extracting coal from the mines.
- Though coal miners have been working for centuries, they became significantly important due to the Industrial revolution between 1760 and 1840 when coal was used on a large scale to fuel stationary and locomotive engines and heat buildings.
- Indian states such as Jharkhand, Odisha, Chhattisgarh, West Bengal, Madhya Pradesh, Telangana and Maharashtra are the significant coal suppliers.