Roadmap for Banking of the Future
Daily Current Affairs – 06 September 2023
This post contains the current affairs for 06 September 2023. These current affairs are important for banking exams, insurance exams and other competitive exams like IBPS PO and Clerk, SBI PO and Clerk, RBI Assistant and RBI Grade B, etc. You can also attempt our Current Affairs Quiz after reading our daily current affairs.
Cabinet approves the Scheme titled Viability Gap Funding for development of Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS)
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Hon’ble Prime Minister has approved the Scheme for Viability Gap Funding (VGF) for the development of Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS). BESS are devices that enable energy from renewables, like solar and wind, to be stored and then released when the power is needed most.
- Under the scheme, 4,000 MWh of BESS projects will be developed by 2030-31.
- Further, the project will provide financial support of up to 40% of the capital cost as budgetary support in the form of Viability Gap Funding (VGF).
- Outlay of the scheme: The VGF for the development of the BESS Scheme has an initial outlay of Rs.9,400 crore. This includes a budgetary support of Rs.3,760 crore.
- To ensure that the benefits of the scheme reach the consumers, a minimum of 85% of the BESS project capacity will be made available to Distribution Companies (Discoms).
Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan launches the Malaviya Mission – Teachers Training Programme by UGC
- On the occasion of Teachers Day on September 05, 2023, the Union Minister for Education and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Shri Dharmendra Pradhan launched the Malaviya Mission – Teachers Training Programme by the University Grants Commission in New Delhi.
- The minister also inaugurated the Portal of the Programme.
- The Malaviya Mission – Teacher Training Programme has been organised by the University Grants Commission (UGC), in association with the Ministry of Education.
- The mission aims to provide tailored training programmes for 15 lakh teachers in higher educational institutions (HEIs) to ensure their continuous professional development and capacity building of faculty members.
- Under this mission, 111 Malaviya Mission centres will be set up across India in a time-bound manner.
- The Indian Air Force (IAF) has partnered with the Drone Federation of India (DFI) to co-host the ‘Bharat Drone Shakti 2023’.
- The event is scheduled to be held on September 25 and 26, 2023 at the lAF’s airbase in Hindan, Ghaziabad.
- The ‘Bharat Drone Shakti 2023’ will showcase the prowess of the Indian drone industry in using these unmanned platforms.
- DFI shall host over 50+ live aerial demonstrations for survey drones, agriculture drones, fire suppression drones, tactical surveillance drones, heavy-lift logistics drones, loitering munition systems, drone swarms, and counter-drone solutions.
- Around 5,000 attendee are expected to witness the event including, 75 drone start-ups and corporates.
- This ‘Bharat Drone Shakti 2023’ event will help the country to achieve its commitment of becoming a global drone hub by 2030.
- The Western Air Command (WAC) of the Indian Air Force (IAF) has launched its annual major training exercise, codenamed ‘Trishul, from September 04 to 14, 2023, along the China-Pakistan border in the north and west, covering area from Leh in Kashmir to Nal in Rajasthan.
- The main objective of this 10-days ‘Trishul’ exercise is to evaluate WAC’s overall combat preparedness.
- A variety of combat assets of IAF such as fighter jets such as Rafales, Jaguars, MiG-29s, and Sukhoi-30MKIs, as well as transport aircraft such as C-130Js and C-17s, as well as surface-to-air guided weapons such as S-400s, MR-SAMS, and Akash are being used during the drill.
- The 43rd Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) summit will be held in Jakarta, Indonesia from 5th to 7th of September 2023.
- Presently there are 10 countries as members of ASEAN.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor, Shri Shaktikanta Das has announced the launch of a suite of new product offerings built by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). These products are aimed at creating an inclusive, resilient, and sustainable digital payments ecosystem. T
- These new products are – Credit Line on UPI, UPI LITE X and Tap & Pay, Hello! UPI – Conversational Payments on UPI, BillPay Connect- Conversational Bill Payments
- Read more here
- Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT), in a press release, informed that the average time it takes to process income tax returns after the taxpayer has verified them has been reduced to 10 days for assessment year [AY] 2023-24.
- This is very less as compared to 82 days for AY 2019-20 and 16 days for AY 2022-23.
- IDEMIA has announced that it has collaborated with Airtel Payments Bank and Nokia’s parent company HMD Global to introduce an offline Central Bank Digital Currency payment application on feature phones. IDEMIA is a French identity security service provider.
- These three organizations will work together to expand the reach of offline Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) payments in India.
- This will be the first attempt to bring CBDC payments on feature phones using an application interface.
- First: Mukesh Ambani, owner of Reliance Industries has topped the Fortune India Rich List for 2023 with a wealth of Rs. 8,19,225 Crore (USD 99.70 billion). Last year he was at second position.
- Second: Gautam Adani, the chairman of Adani Group of companies is at second position in 2023 with a wealth of Rs. 5,23,538 Crore (USD 63.71 billion). Last year he was at first position.
- Third: The Mistry family of Shapoorji Pallonji Group holds the third position with a wealth of $34.6 billion.
- Fourth: Poonawalla family, owners of vaccine maker Serum Institute is ranked fourth with a wealth of $32.9 billion.
- Fifth: Radhakishan Damani, claims the fifth spot on the India Rich List with a wealth of $23.4 billion.
- The annual Fortune India-Waterfield Advisors list ranks 157 dollar billionaires in the country with a cumulative wealth of ₹69.30 lakh crore. Top 10 account for 41.65% of total wealth.
- Wildlife photographer Jack Zhi has been named as the overall winner for the Bird Photographer of the Year 2023, for his image titled “Grab the Bull by the Horns”.
- Zhi won the prestigious honour which is worth £5,000.
- The image also won the Gold Award in Bird Behavior category.
- The image shows that how, during the breeding season, a female peregrine falcon fiercely protects her young, attacking anything that comes near the nest.