Daily Current Affairs – 27 & 28 April 2023
This post contains the current affairs for 27 & 28 April 2023. These current affairs are important for banking exams, insurance exams and other competitive exams like IBPS PO and Clerk, SBI PO and Clerk, RBI Assistant and Grade B, etc. You can also attempt our Current Affairs Quiz after reading our daily current affairs.
Union Cabinet approves establishment of 157 new nursing colleges in co-location with existing medical colleges in 2 years; Budget approved – Rs. 1570 crores
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has approved to set up 157 new nursing colleges in co-location with the existing medical colleges established since 2014.
- The new nursing college add approximately 15,700 nursing graduates every year.
- The government has approved total financial allocation of Rs.1,570 crore for the project. The plan is to complete the project within next two years.
- In the first place, this initiative will ensure quality, affordable, and equitable nursing education in India, especially in underserved districts and States/Union Territories, and secondly, it will help in strengthening nursing workforce in the country.
PM Modi inaugurates 6th Edition of ‘One Earth One Health – Advantage Healthcare India 2023’ in New Delhi
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated the 6th edition of the ‘One Earth One Health – Advantage Healthcare India – 2023’ in New Delhi via video conferencing on April 26, 2023.
- The two day event was organised by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare in association with the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI).
- The Health Ministers from across the world, and delegates from West Asia, SAARC, ASEAN and the African regions took part in the event.
- The basic emphasis of the event was on the importance of global collaborations and partnerships for Building Resilient Global Health Architecture and working towards achieving Universal Health Coverage through value-based healthcare.
- It also showcased India’s strength in the field of Medical Value Travel as an exporter of Healthcare Workforce providing Value-Based Healthcare services and its emergence as a major hub for world-class healthcare and wellness services.
Indian Navy Conducts ‘Sam No Varunah’ Coastal Car Rally covering entire coastline
- The Indian Navy in association with Navy Welfare and Wellness Association (NWWA) had organised month-long maritime awareness coastal motor car expedition, “SAM NO VARUNAH” covering the entire Indian coastline, from Kolkata to Gujarat.
- The car rally was flagged off on 26 March 2023 from INS Netaji Subhas at Kolkata, and covered more than 8500 km routing via the entire East and West coast of India.
- The Raksha Rajya Mantri (RRM), Shri Ajay Bhatt flagged-in the rally on 26, April 2023.
- The central theme of this coastal motor car rally was ‘enhancing maritime consciousness.’
- The M/s Mahindra and Mahindra supported the rally with their fleet of SUVs, while MasterCard India and Indian Oil Corporation were the co-partners for the car rally.
- Read more here
PM addresses programme marking 20 years of SWAGAT Initiative by Gujarat
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi virtually participated in a program to mark the completion of 20 years of the StateWide Attention on Grievances by Application of Technology (SWAGAT) Initiative on April 27, 2023.
- The SWAGAT initiative was launched by the Gujarat government in 2003 when PM Modi was the Chief Minister of the state.
- The state government is observing the SWAGAT Saptah (week) to mark the successful completion of 20 years of this problem-solving mechanism.
- SWAGAT is an effective grievance redressal mechanism of the Gujarat government, by using technology to quickly and efficiently solve the grievances of the citizens, serving as a bridge between the government and citizens.
DRDO organises 2-days National Conference on Condition Monitoring (NCCM 2023) in Visakhapatnam
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has organised a two-day National Conference on Condition Monitoring (NCCM 2023) in Visakhapatnam on April 27, 2023.
- The conference was inaugurated by Secretary, Department of Defence R&D and Chairman of DRDO, Dr Samir V Kamat.
- The conference was organised by Naval Science and Technological Laboratory (NSTL), a premier laboratory of DRDO in association with Condition Monitoring Society of India.
- The event served as a platform to bring together practitioners and experts of Condition Monitoring and spread the message of effectively implementing related practices in the industry for enhanced productivity and increased availability.
Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare and NAFED launches ‘Millets Experience Centre (MEC)’
- The Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, Shri Narendra Singh Tomar, launched the first of its kind ‘Millets Experience Centre (MEC)’ at Dilli Haat, INA, New Delhi on April 28, 2023.
- The Millets Experience Centre has been launched by the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare (MoA&FW) in collaboration with the NAFED [Managing Director-Shri Rajbir Singh], to raise awareness on Millets and encourage its adoption among general public.
- The United Nations General Assembly has declared the year 2023 as the International Year of Millets (IYM 2023).
Total Enrolments under Atal Pension Yojana (APY) cross 5. 20 crore mark since inception
- As per the data released by the Ministry of Finance, the total enrolment under Atal Pension Yojana crossed 5.20 crore mark as on 31 March 2023.
- More than 1.19 crore new subscribers were enrolled under this scheme in FY 2022-23.
- This is 20% higher as compared to 99 lakh in the FY 2021-22.
- As on date, the total assets under management (AUM) in APY is more than Rs. 27,200 crore.
- The scheme has generated investment return of 8.69% since inception of the scheme in 2015.
- Read about Atal Pension Yojana (APY).
MoHUA launches the ‘City Beauty Competition’ for ULBs to make beautiful public spaces
- The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has launched a portal called ‘City Beauty Competition’.
- The portal can be accessed at https://citybeautycompetition.in
- All the Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) across the country can participate in this competition through an online process.
- The objective of the competition is to encourage cities and wards across the country to create beautiful, innovative and inclusive public spaces and recognize the transformational efforts made by them.
- The competition at city level will judge wards and public spaces against five broad pillars viz., (i) accessibility (ii) amenities (iii) activities (iv) aesthetics and (v) ecology.
- The top most beautiful wards would be felicitated at the city and State levels.
- The top most beautiful public spaces in the cities under four categories viz. Waterfronts, Green spaces, tourist/ heritage spaces and market/commercial places would first be felicitated at the State level and the shortlisted entries would thereafter be considered for National level awards.
7th India-UK joint military exercise “AJEYA WARRIOR-23” begins at Salisbury Plains
- The 7th edition of joint military exercise between India and the United Kingdom, named “AJEYA WARRIOR-23” is being conducted at Salisbury Plains, United Kingdom from 27 April to 11 May 2023.
- The biennial training exercise AJEYA WARRIOR is conducted alternatively in the United Kingdom and India.
- The previous edition was held at Chaubatia, Uttarakhand in October 2021.
- The Indian Army soldiers from the BIHAR Regiment are participating in the exercise, while the UK will be represented by the Soldiers of the 2 Royal Gorkha Rifles.
India and UK plans to jointly create India-UK ‘NET Zero’ Innovation Virtual Centre
- India and United Kingdom have planned to jointly create India-UK “NET Zero” Innovation Virtual Centre.
- This NET Zero Innovation Virtual Centre will provide a platform to bring stakeholders from both countries together to work in some of the focus areas including Decarbonization of manufacturing process & transport systems and Green Hydrogen as renewable source.
Mohammed Shahabuddin takes charge as 22nd President of Bangladesh
- Veteran politician Mohammed Shahabuddin has been sworn in as the 22nd President of Bangladesh on 24 April 2023.
- The 73-year-old Shahabuddin was administered the oath by Jatiya Sangsad Speaker Shirin Sharmin Chaudhury.
- Shahabuddin succeeds Abdul Hamid whose tenure ended on April 23, 2023.
Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank ropes in Shreekant M Bhandiwad as Chairman
- Shreekant M Bhandiwad has been appointed as the new Chairman of Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank (KVGB).
- Before this, Bhandiwad was incharge of the Patna circle of Canara Bank.
RBI grants NBFC Licence to neobank Jupiter
- The neobanking startup, Jupiter has secured the non-banking finance company (NBFC) licence from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- This NBFC licence will help Jupiter to lend credit from its book and further scale its business fast.
- Jupiter will lend loan through its Bengaluru-based Amica Financial Technologies Ltd., the private entity which operates Jupiter.
Sachin Tendulkar gets a Stand and Gate named after him as honour on his 50th B’day
- A stand at the iconic Sharjah cricket stadium in the UAE has been renamed after Sachin Tendulkar, to honour the Indian cricket legend on his 50th birthday.
- The West Stand at the stadium has been renamed as the ‘Sachin Tendulkar Stand.’
- Sachin turned 50 on April 24, 2023
- Apart from this, a gate at the iconic Sydney Cricket Ground in Sydney, Australia, has also been named after him on his 50th birthday.
Uttarakhand’s cabinet minister Chandan Ram Dass passes away at 65
- The Uttarakhand state cabinet minister Chandan Ram Dass has passed away after suffering a cardiac attack. He was 65-years-old.
- Dass was a four-time MLA from the Bageshwar constituency, one of the 70 assembly constituencies of Uttarakhand.
- He was serving as a cabinet minister, in charge of social welfare and transportation department, Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami’s government.
Noted scientist and orator, Dr. N. Gopalakrishnan passes away at 68
- Noted scientist and orator, Dr. N. Gopalakrishnan has passed away. He was 68-years-old.
- He was the founder of the Indian Institute of Scientific Heritage (IISH) and former scientist at the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
- His lectures on Indian philosophies and spirituality attracted audiences from within and outside the country.
International Girls in ICT Day 2023: 27 April
- Every year the International Girls in ICT Day is observed on the fourth Thursday of April by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) Member States.
- In 2023, the day falls on 27th of April.
- The 2023 theme: “Digital Skills for Life”.
- The day provides an initiative to create a global environment that empowers and encourages girls and young women to consider studies and careers in the growing field of information and communication technologies (ICT).
- International Telecommunication Union (ITU) headquarter- Geneva, Switzerland
World Intellectual Property Day: 26 April
- The World Intellectual Property Day is observed annually on 26 April since 2000.
- Purpose: to raise awareness of how patents, copyright, trademarks and designs impact on daily life and celebrate creativity, and the contribution made by creators and innovators to the development of societies across the globe.
- Theme 2023: “Women and IP: Accelerating innovation and creativity”.
- The day also commemorates the date when Convention Establishing the World Intellectual Property Organization entered into force in 1970.
World Day for Safety and Health at Work: 28 April
- The World Day for Safety and Health at Work is observed annually on 28 April to raise awareness for promoting safe, healthy and decent work.
- The day is promoted by the International Labour Organization (ILO) since 2003 to prevent accidents and illnesses at work.
- The theme for 2023 is “A safe and healthy working environment as a fundamental principle and right at work”.
Workers’ Memorial Day: 28 April
- The Workers’ Memorial Day, also known as International Commemoration Day for Dead and Injured Workers occurs every year on 28 April.
- Theme 2023: ‘Remember the dead, fight for the living.’
- The day has been organized worldwide by the International Trade Union Confederation since 1996.
- Its purpose is to remembers workers killed in incidents at work or by diseases caused by work and honour the victims of occupational accidents and diseases by organizing worldwide mobilizations and awareness campaigns on this date.
Click Here For Daily Current Affairs