Roadmap for Banking of the Future
Daily Current Affairs – 02 May 2023
This post contains the current affairs for 02 May 2023. These current affairs are important for banking exams, insurance exams and other competitive exams like IBPS PO and Clerk, SBI PO and Clerk, RBI Assistant and Grade B, etc. You can also attempt our Current Affairs Quiz after reading our daily current affairs.
India hands over two warships to Maldives
- Defence Minister Shri Rajnath Singh handed over two made-in-India platforms, namely, Fast Patrol Vessel and a Landing Craft Assault ship, to the Maldives National Defence Forces (MNDF) 0n May 02, 2023.
- Minister Rajnath Singh is on 3-day visit to the Maldives from May 01 to 03, 2023.
- The Fast Patrol Vessel was commissioned as MNDF Coast Guard ship Huravee. It is capable of coastal and offshore surveillance at high speeds.
- The handing over of the two vessels is a symbol of the shared commitment of India and the Maldives towards peace and security in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR).
Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs signs MoU with RITES as Technical Support Agency for Swachhata
- The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with RITES Limited, for technical assistance for Solid Waste Management (SWM) & Used Water Management (UWM) under Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban 2.0.
- The focus of this MoU will on accelerating Solid Waste and Used Water Management for towns with less than 1 lakh population.
- The Technical Support Unit (TSU) of RITES will assist SBM-U for a period of 3 years.
- Read More here
Ministry of Tourism participates in Arabian Travel Market (ATM) 2023 in Dubai to showcase “Incredible India” and “Visit India Year 2023” campaign
- The Ministry of Tourism, Government of India, is participating in the Arabian Travel Market (ATM) 2023, being held in Dubai, UAE from May 01 to 04, 2023.
- The ATM 2023 is a leading global events for the travel and tourism industry, attracting visitors and exhibitors from around the world.
- The Indian pavilion is participation in the ATM 2023 event with the theme “Incredible India”. It shall showcase India’s rich cultural and natural heritage, including its UNESCO World Heritage Sites, wildlife sanctuaries, and spiritual destinations.
- India has also launched Visit India Year 2023 campaign at the event.
- With this, India aims to present itself as a preferred travel destination among the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) markets.
IIFT celebrates 60th Foundation Day
- The Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT), New Delhi celebrated its Diamond Jubilee, means, 60th Foundation Day on May 02, 2023.
- Established in 1963, IIFT is an autonomous body under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- It is a leading business school in India with its main campus in New Delhi and additional campuses in Kolkata and Kakinada.
- It also functions as a civil services training institute
- Late Shri HD Shourie was the founding Director General, who laid the foundation of IIFT with the motto, ‘Excellence is a way of life’.
EPFO extends deadline to apply for higher pension till June 26th from May 3rd
- The retirement fund body Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has extended the deadline to apply for pension on higher wages till June 26, 2023.
- The decision has been taken to provide a larger window of opportunity and to enable all eligible persons to file their applications.
- The initial deadline of March 3 was extended till May 3, 2023.
Rail Vikas Nigam Ltd. becomes India’s 13th Navratna company in nine years
- The Rail Vikas Nigam Ltd. (RVNL) has been given the Navratna status. It is now the 13th Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE) to get Navratna status.
- Before this, RVNL was in the Miniratna category – I and a schedule ‘A’ CPSE under Ministry of Railways .
- RVNL is an public sector undertaking working as the construction arm of the Ministry of Railways for project implementation and transportation infrastructure development.
- Prior to this, the Engineers India Ltd. was conferred with Navratna status, in 2014.
- The status will enable the company to have more autonomy in terms of investment, setting up joint ventures, and other financial decisions.
- For a CPSE to be eligible for Navratna status, the company must have Miniratna l, schedule A status and have obtained ‘excellent’ or ‘very good’ Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) rating in three of the last five years.
Bharti Airtel plans to merge its Sri Lanka operations with Dialog to make nation’s largest telco
- The telecom major Bharti Airtel has announced its plan to merge its Sri Lanka operations with Dialog Axiata, the largest telecom provider in Sri Lanka.
- The merged entity will become the largest telecom provider in Sri Lanka.
- Under the pact Bharti Airtel will be granted a stake in Dialog, representing fair value of Airtel Lanka. Bharti Airtel will accordingly be issued new shares in Dialog upon completion of the deal.
NCP Founder President Sharad Pawar resigns
- The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) President Sharad Pawar has stepped down from his position on May 02, 2023.
- The noted politician made the announcement of his retirement during the release of his autobiography titled, ‘Lok Majhe Sangati – Political Autobiography’.
- He was the first and former president of the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), which was founded in 1999, after separating from the Indian National Congress.
- Apart from this, Pawar has served as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra for four terms.
- Pawar has also served as the Minister of Defence in the Cabinet of P.V Narsimha Rao and Minister of Agriculture in the Cabinet of Manmohan Singh.
World Tuna Day: 02 May
- The World Tuna Day is observed on May 2 every year to raise awareness about the Tuna fish and its importance to humans and earth and also to promote more sustainable fishing practices.
- Theme 2023: Yes We Can.
- The United Nations (UN) officially recognised the World Tuna Day in 2017.
- The first World Tuna Day was observed in the year 2017.
- Tuna is a saltwater fish comprising of some 15 different species across five genera.
World Asthma Day 2023: 04 May
- The World Asthma Day takes place annually on the First Tuesday of May since 1998.
- In 2023, World Asthma Day is being observed on May 02, 2023.
- The theme for 2023 World Asthma Day is “Asthma care for All”.
- The day is annually organised by the Global Initiative for Asthma (GINA) to raise asthma awareness, care and support around the world for those people who are affected by asthma.