Roadmap for Banking of the Future
Daily Current Affairs – 01 May 2023
This post contains the current affairs for 01 May 2023. These current affairs are important for banking exams, insurance exams and other competitive exams like IBPS PO and Clerk, SBI PO and Clerk, RBI Assistant and Grade B, etc. You can also attempt our Current Affairs Quiz after reading our daily current affairs.
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launches book titled ‘Reflections’ authored by Shri Narayanan Vaghul
- Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman launched a book titled ‘Reflections’, in Mumbai recently.
- The book has been written by eminent banker Shri Narayanan Vaghul, who is widely considered as the architect of modern banking in India..
- Author Shri Vaghul has complied his decades-long experiences in India’s financial landscape in this book..
Indian Army inducts first batch of “Five Women Officers” into the Regiment of Artillery
- For the first time ever, five women cadets have been inducted into the Indian Army’s Regiment of Artillery, on April 29, 2023, during their passing out parade at the Officers Training Academy (OTA), Chennai.
- Lt Mehak Saini, Lt Sakshi Dubey, Lt Aditi Yadav, Lt Pious Mudgil and Lt Akanksha have been commissioned into Army’s premier artillery units after successfully completing their training at the OTA, Chennai.
- Out of the five women officers, three have been posted to units deployed along the borders with China (Line of Actual Control (LAC)).
- The other two have been deployed in “challenging locations” near the frontier with Pakistan.
- These OTA, Chennai women cadets will receive the same opportunities and challenges as their male counterparts.
India & Russia to explore possibility of accepting RuPay and Mir cards for hassle-free payments
- India and Russia are explore the possibility of accepting RuPay (India) and Mir cards (Russia) in each other’s country for hassle-free payments, in Indian rupees and Russian ruble in their respective countries, amid sanctions imposed by the West on Moscow.
- The discussion regarding the opportunity of allowing acceptance of these cards, was held in the recent high level Internal Governmental Commission meeting on Trade, Economic, Scientific, Technological and Cultural Cooperation (IRIGC-TEC).
- The meeting was co-chaired by India’s External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and Russia Deputy Prime Minister Denis Manturov.
- Apart from this, the two countries also agreed to explore the possibility of interaction of Unified Payments Interface (UPI) of National Payment Corporation of India and the Faster Payments System (FPS) of the Bank of Russia.
- Besides, it was also agreed to look at adopting the Russian financial messaging system, Services Bureau of Financial Messaging System of the Bank of Russia, for cross border payments.
- Currently, the overseas payments from India and vice versa are through the SWIFT network.
Jet Airways CEO Sanjiv Kapoor quits
- Sanjiv Kapoor, the Chief Executive Officer (CEO)-designate of airline company Jet Airways’, has announced to quit the company.
- His last day at the office will be on 1 May, 2023.
- He had joined Jet Airways as their Chief Executive Officer (CEO) on 4 April, 2022
Red Bull’s Sergio Perez wins 2023 Azerbaijan Grand Prix
- Sergio Perez (Red Bull – Mexico) has won the 2023 Azerbaijan Grand Prix, held on April 30, 2023.
- Max Verstappen (Red Bull – Netherlands) came second while Charles Leclerc (Monaco- Scuderia Ferrari) came third.
- After the 2023 Azerbaijan Grand Prix, the 2023 Drivers Standings is as follows:
- Max Verstappen (93 Points)
- Sergio Perez (87 Points)
- Fernando Alonso (60 Points)
Satwik SaiRaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty becomes first Indian Men’s Doubles pair to win Badminton Asia Championships Title
- In the Badminton Asia Championship 2023, the Indian pair of Chirag Shetty and Satwiksairaj Rankireddy won the men’s doubles title, held in Dubai on April 30, 2023.
- They defeated eighth-seeded Malaysian pair Teo Ee Yi and Ong Yew Sin in the final, 16-21, 21-17, and 21-19.
- With this win, the duo became the first Indian men’s doubles pair to win the Badminton Asia Championships title.
- Also, this was India’s second-ever Badminton Asia Championships title after Dinesh Khanna in 1965.
- Men’s singles – Anthony Sinisuka Ginting (Indonesia)
- Women’s singles – Tai Tzu-ying (Taiwan)
- Men’s doubles – Chirag Shetty and Satwiksairaj Rankireddy
- Women’s doubles – Yuki Fukushima and Sayaka Hirota (Japan)
- Mixed doubles – Jiang Zhenbang and Wei Yaxin (China)
Indian shooter duo Mairaj Khan and Ganemat Sekhon wins gold at the 2023 ISSF Shotgun World Cup in Cairo
- In shooting, the two-time Olympian Mairaj Ahmad Khan and Ganemat Sekhon won the gold in mixed skeet of the ongoing 2023 International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Cup Shotgun in Cairo, Egypt.
- The Indian pair outclassed Gabriela Rodriguez and Luis Oliveros of Mexico 6-0.
- Italy won bronze medal.
- This is the first medal for India in the competition.
International Workers’ Day: 01 May
- The International Workers’ Day is observed annually on May 01 to honour the contributions of the labourers or working class people.
- This day is also known as Workers’ Day, Labour Day as well as May Day in some of the countries.
- India celebrated the first Labour day in the year 1923.
- In India, the day is referred to as Antarrashtriya Shramik Diwas or Kamgar Din
Maharashtra Day and Gujarat Day observed on 01 May
- Every year Maharashtra Day and Gujarat Day is marked on 1st of May, to commemorate the formation of the state of Maharashtra and Gujarat,57 years ago, from the division of the Bombay State on 1 May 1960.
- In 1960, the Bombay State was bifurcated into two separate states namely, Gujarat and Maharashtra, with the enactment of Bombay Reorganisation Act in 1960
- Initially, the state of Bombay had mainly four major languages namely, Marathi, Kutchi, Gujarati, and Konkani.
- After bifurcation, the Marathi and Konkani-speaking population became a part of the state of Maharashtra, while the Kutchi and Gujarati-speaking population became a part of the state of Gujarat.
- The Day is commonly marked with parades and political speeches and ceremonies, as well as various other public and private events to celebrate the history, culture, values and traditions of both these states.