Daily Current Affairs 29 October 2019: We have collected the latest current affairs for 29 October 2019 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the daily current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 29 October 2019
Govt forms Committee of Secretaries to suggest measures to mitigate financial stress in telecom sector; Head- Rajiv Gauba
- The government has constituted a Committee of Secretaries to work out a financial bailout package that may include lowering of spectrum charges as well as ending the era of free mobile phone calls and dirt cheap data.
- The committee will be headed by Cabinet Secretary Rajiv Gauba.
- The panel will comprise of secretaries to the ministries of finance, law, and telecom. The panel has been asked to look at the demands of telecom service providers (TSPs) for deferment of payments they had promised for the spectrum won through auction as well as consider lowering airwave usage charge.
European Union Extends Brexit Deadline Until January 31, 2020
- The European Union (EU) has agreed to delay Brexit until January 31, 2020. The earlier deadline was October 31, 2019.
- Brexit is the scheduled withdrawal of the United Kingdom (UK) from the European Union (EU). The decision has been agreed on by ambassadors from the 27 other EU countries.
- The deal grants a three-month extension to Britain’s EU membership. It allows the U.K. to leave earlier if it and the EU both ratify the withdrawal deal.
- Note: EU has a total of 28 countries including the UK.
Pramod Kumar Tiwari Appointed Director General of Bureau of Indian Standards
- Pramod Kumar Tiwari has been appointed as the Director General (DG) of the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) in the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution.
- Previously, he was the joint secretary, department of food and public distribution, Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution.
BSE partners with Ebix for Insurance products
- The Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) has formed a joint venture with Ebix (the global leader in insurance exchanges). The JV is named BSE-Ebix Broking Insurance Broking Pvt Ltd.
- The Joint Venture has received in-principle approval for a certificate of registration to act as a direct insurance broker under the IRDAI (Insurers Brokers) Regulations 2018.
- BSE-Ebix Broking Insurance Broking Pvt Ltd, will enable distribution outlets, wealth management advisors, point of sales (POSs) to sell life and non-life insurance products.
Nawazuddin Siddiqui wins award at 2019 Cardiff International Film Festival
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui has been awarded the Golden Dragon Award at this year’s Cardiff International Film Festival in the UK.
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui has made a mark internationally with Netflix’s Sacred Games, Ritesh Batra’s Photograph and BBC UK’s McMafia.
Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde appointed next Chief Justice of India (CJI)
- Justice Sharad Arvind Bobde has been named as the next Chief Justice of India (CJI) and will take oath on November 18, 2019.
- He will be the 47th Chief Justice of India. He will succeed CJI Ranjan Gogoi who will retire on November 17.
- Justice Bobde will retire on April 23, 2021.
Filipe Nyusi Wins Second 5 year Term as President of Mozambique
- Mozambique’s incumbent President Filipe Nyusi has won the Presidential elections 2019 to be elected as the head of the country for the second consecutive term.
- The 60-year-old secures 73 percent of the votes marking a landslide victory.
- Mozambique capital- Maputo
- Currency- Mozambican metical
Tiger Woods wins 82nd PGA Tour title at Zozo Championship 2019
- US professional Golfer Tiger Woods won his 82nd PGA Tour title at the Zozo Championship 2019.
- With this win, he has tied up with Sam Snead of US to become the golfers with most PGA Tour wins.
Chen Long and An Se-young wins 2019 French Open (badminton)
- 2019 French Open Badminton tournament was held from 22 to 27 October 2019. The list of winners are:
- Men’s Singles- Chen Long (China)
- Women’s Singles- An Se-young (South Korea)
- Men’s Doubles- Marcus Fernaldi Gideon and Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo
- Women’s Doubles- Lee So-hee and Shin Seung-chan
- Mixed Doubles- Praveen Jordan and Melati Daeva Oktavianti