Daily Current Affairs 28 February 2020: We have collected the latest current affairs for 28 February 2020 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the daily current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 28 February 2020
International Conference on Standardisation of AYUSH Terminologies, ICoSDiTAUS-2020, Held in Delhi
- The two-day International Conference on Standardisation of Diagnosis and Terminologies in Ayurveda, Unani and Siddha Systems of Medicine, ICoSDiTAUS-2020, was held in New Delhi on 25 and 26 February 2020.
- The conference concluded with the adoption of the “New Delhi Declaration on Collection and Classification of Traditional Medicine (TM) Diagnostic Data”.
- 16 countries came together for the cause of Traditional Medicine at this conference including Sri Lanka, Mauritius, Serbia, Curacao, Cuba, Myanmar, Equatorial Guinea, Qatar, Ghana, Bhutan, Uzbekistan, India, Switzerland, Iran, Jamaica and Japan.
- ICoSDiTAUS-2020 is the biggest ever international event dedicated to standardisation of Diagnosis and Terminologies of Traditional Medicine in terms of the broad level of participation covering virtually all the continents.
- The inaugural address was made by Dr. Poonam Khetrapal Singh, Regional Director, WHO – SEARO on 25th February 2020.
11th National Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK) Conference 2020 Organised in New Delhi
- The Union Minister for Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare, Rural Development & Panchayati Raj, Shri Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated the 11th National Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK) Conference 2020 in New Delhi on 28 February 2020.
- The theme of the three day national conference is ‘Empowering Youth for Technology Led Farming’.
- The conference has been organized by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) from 28th Feb to 1st March 2020.
- The KVK national conference will mainly highlight technology-led farming and youth entrepreneurship through agriculture which will be attended by all the KVKs across India.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh Inaugurates New Light Combat Helicopter Production Hangar at HAL Complex in Bengaluru
- The Raksha Mantri Rajnath Singh inaugurated the new Light Combat Helicopter (LCH) Production Hangar at Helicopter Division in Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) Complex at Bengaluru, Karnataka on 27 February 2020.
- The LCH is a 5.5-tonne class combat helicopter, which has been designed and developed by HAL – a Defence Public Sector Undertaking (DPSU).
- LCH is powered by 2 Shakti engines and has many technical features of the Advanced Light Helicopter.
- LCH is the first attach helicopter to land in Forward Bases at Siachen, 4,700 mts above sea level with 500kg load.
Fifth Offshore Patrol Vessel ICGS Varad Commissioned into Indian Coast Guard
- Offshore Patrol Vessel ICGS Varad was commissioned into the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) by Union Minister Mansukh Mandaviya on 28 February 2020 at L&T Kattupalli shipyard, near Chennai.
- Shri. Mansukh Mandaviya is the Union Minister of State for Shipping (Independent Charge) and Union Minister of State for Chemicals and Fertiliser.
- Built by LARSEN & TOUBRO (L&T) Shipbuilding, ICGS Varad is fifth in the series of seven Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) contracted by Ministry of Defence on L&T in March 2015.
- The vessel has set a record in Indian shipbuilding industry by becoming the first major defence ship to clear all Sea Acceptance Trials (SATs) in a single sea sortie, underlining the high quality of design and construction of these ships.
Bharti AXA General uses WhatsApp to deliver policy and renewal documents
- Bharti AXA General Insurance has started delivering policies and renewal premium to its customers through messaging platform WhatsApp.
- As part of its strategy, Bharti AXA has introduced WhatsApp chatbot as an instant and user-friendly chat structure where the customers can raise requests simply through numeric inputs.
- WhatsApp chatbot is an additional customer service option for the policyholders, apart from the company’s multiple channels such as its vast network of branches, robust customer care and contact center, and dynamic portal.
- This makes the company first among non-life insurers in India to introduce the entire bouquet of service initiatives such as policy documents, renewal notices and claim intimation for its customers by using WhatsApp chatbot.
Sri Lanka Formally Withdraws from UNHRC Resolution
- The Government of Sri Lanka has formally withdrawn its co-sponsorship from the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC) Resolution on Sri Lanka on 26 February, 2020.
- Sri Lanka is withdrawing its co-sponsorship of the Resolution 40/1 and previous Resolutions 30/1 and 34/1.
- The country will now address issues on accountability through a domestic process.
- The UNHRC resolution 40/1 was co-sponsored by Sri Lanka and 11 other countries with the aim to investigate war time violence against Tamil Tiger rebels who were demanding separate homeland claiming that they were ethnic tamil minority and eligible for separate homeland.
Film Editor Sreekar Prasad Enters the Limca Book of Records
- Veteran film editor Sreekar Prasad has entered the Limca Book of Records for ‘films edited in most number of languages’.
- He has edited films in 17 languages which includes Tamil, English, Hindi, Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Odia, Bengali, Assamese, Punjabi, Nepali, Marathi, Sinhalese, Karbi, Mishing, Bodo, and Pangchenpa.
- Sreekar Prasad, who is one of the most acclaimed editors of the country, also holds eight National Awards.
National Science Day: 28 February
- In India, the National Science Day is celebrated on 28 February each year to spread the message about the importance of science in the daily life of the people.
- The day is also marked to commemorate the discovery of the Raman effect. Indian physicist Sir C. V. Raman discovered the Raman effect on 28 February 1928, for which he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1930.
- The theme for 2020 National Science Day is “Women in Science.”
Renowned Freedom Fighter and Vedic Scholar Sudhakar Chaturvedi passes away
- Centenarian freedom fighter and Vedic scholar Sudhakar Krishna Rao, widely known as Sudhakar Chaturvedi passed away due to old age related ailments. He was said to be 123 year old.
- Rao was an eye-witness to the Jalianwala Bagh massacre on April 13, 1919.
World’s Oldest Man, Chitetsu Watanabe, Passes Away at 112; UK’s Bob Weighton now Becomes World’s Oldest Man
- The world’s oldest man, Chitetsu Watanabe of northern Japan, has passed away. He was 112.
- Chitetsu Watanabe received his Guinness World Record certification on February 12, 2020.
- With the death of Chitetsu Watanabe, Britain’s oldest man, Bob Weighton, who is 111, has now become the oldest person in the world.