Daily Current Affairs 25 February 2020: We have collected the latest current affairs for 25 February 2020 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the daily current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 25 February 2020
NPCI launches “UPI Chalega” Campaign to promote UPI
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has launched an industry campaign named “UPI Chalega” to promote UPI as Easy, Safe, and Instant mode of payment.
- NPCI has launched the campaign in association with the payment ecosystem players.
- The “UPI Chalega” campaign is aimed to guide users towards the right usage of UPI and help create a habitual change, use of UPI in their daily life.
Ghaziabad tops as most polluted city in the world: World Air Quality Report 2019
- As per the World Air Quality Report 2019 compiled by IQAir Air Visual, Ghaziabad is the most polluted city in the world. Some other important points of this report are as under:
- 21 of the world’s 30 most polluted cities are in India.
- Delhi topped the list of most polluted capital cities in the world in 2019.
- India ranked fifth in the world’s most polluted countries. Top is Bangladesh.
- However, the report also mentions that Indian cities have shown improvement from last year.
MP becomes first state in the country to launch the unified vehicle registration card
- Madhya Pradesh has become the first state in India to launch unified vehicle registration card.
- Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh, Kamal Nath launched the unified vehicle registration card on February 25, 2020. He also launched the unified driving license at the same time.
- MP is the second state to launch unified driving license after Uttar Pradesh.
- These unified smart cards for driving license and vehicle registration will each have a QR code that will help in verifying authenticity of the data printed on the cards.
- The unified driving license card will also have information about the ability of the driver to drive in hilly and dangerous areas, and an emergency contact number.
Haryana Leads while West Bengal Worst State in Direct Benefit Transfer Payouts
- Haryana has emerged as the best states in India regarding Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) payouts in 2019-20, as per the ratings prepared for the first time by Centre for the 36 states and UTs.
- The ratings have ranked states according to DBT payouts compared to their population.
- Haryana reported Rs 4,782 crore DBT payout in over 4 crore transactions.
- West Bengal was the worst at 36th spot, reporting DBT payouts of Rs 8,793 crore in 5 crore transactions.
- Haryana’s population is one-fourth of West Bengal.
- The UTs of J&K and Ladakh together was placed at eight spot reporting DBT payouts worth Rs 1,190 crore through over 80 lakh transactions. It stands first among UTs category.
- The central DBT scheme covers around 439 schemes of 56 ministries and departments and over Rs 2.25 lakh crore has been paid out in the country in 2019-20.
NABARD Sanctions Rs 400.64 cr to Boost Infrastructure in J&K
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has sanctioned an amount of Rs 400.64 crore to the Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir for 2019-20 to give boost to the infrastructure in the rural areas.
- The funding is a part of the NABARD’s ‘Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF) XXV’ which aims at enhancing rural infrastructure.
- The fund sanctioned includes:
- Rs 209.87 crore – for construction of 82 rural roads and 03 bridges
- Rs 143.66 crore – for implementation of 38 water supply schemes
- Rs 47.11 crore – towards improving the Animal and Sheep Husbandry sectors
United States Surpasses China to Become India’s top trading partner
- According to the data by the Ministry of Commerce & Industry, United States has surpassed China to become India’s top trading partner.
- The data showed that China was India’s top trading partner since 2013-14 till 2017-18.
- But in 2018-19, the bilateral trade between the US and India stood at nearly 88 billion dollars, while during the same period, India’s trade with China was at 87.1 billion dollars.
- Similarly, during April-December 2019-20, the bilateral trade between the US and India was 68 billion dollars against a nearly 65 billion dollars trade with China in the same period.
- Also, in 2018-19, India has a trade surplus of 16.9 billion dollars with America, while it has a deficit of 53.6 billion dollars with China.
Rajesh Kumar of HDFC Bank appointed as MD, CEO of CIBIL
- Rajesh Kumar of HDFC Bank has been appointed as the new managing director and chief executive officer of TransUnion Cibil.
- CIBIL is the largest credit information bureau in India.
- Before joining Cibil, Rajesh Kumar was the group head for retail credit and risk at HDFC Bank. He succeeds Satish Pillai.
Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival Awards 2020
- The Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival was held on 20 February 2020 in Mumbai to Honour and Appreciate the creativity & talent of Indian Film and Television Industry
List of Winners
- Best Film – Super 30
- Best Actor – Hrithik Roshan
- Most Promising Actor – Kiccha Sudeep
- Best Actor in Television Series – Dheeraj Dhoopar
- Best Actress in Television – Divyanka Tripathi
- Most Favourite Television Actor – Harshad Chopda
- Most Favourite Jodi in Television Series – Sriti Jha and Shabbir Ahluwalia (Kumkum Bhagya)
- Best Reality Show – Bigg Boss 13
- Best Television Series – Kumkum Bhagya
- Best Playback Singer Male – Armaan Malik
Indian Grandmaster D Gukesh wins 34th Cannes Open in France
- In Chess, India’s 13-year old Grandmaster D Gukesh won the 34th Cannes Open in France.
- Gukesh defeated Harutyun Bargseghyan of France in the final round to end with 7.5 points in 50 moves to emerge clear winner.
- The Tamil Nadu player Gukesh became the world’s second youngest Grandmaster ever in 2019 at the age of 12 years, 7 months, and 17 days.
- As of 2019 he is the youngest grandmaster in the world and India’s youngest grandmaster.
Central Excise Day: 24 February
- Central Excise Day is celebrated every year on February 24 in India to encourage the employees of excise department in carrying out the central excise duty in a better way.
- The Central Excise Day is also celebrated to commemorate the Central Excise and Salt Act, which was enacted on February 24, 1944.
Former President of Egypt Hosni Mubarak Passes Away at 91
- Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak has passed away at the age of 91.
- He served as the fourth president of Egypt from 1981 to 2011.
- Before entering politics, Mubarak served in the Egyptian Air Force.