Daily Current Affairs 19 February 2020: We have collected the latest current affairs for 19 February 2020 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the daily current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 19 February 2020
IGI Airport, Delhi becomes India’s first single-use plastic-free airport
- GMR-led Delhi International Airport Ltd (DIAL) has announced that the Indira Gandhi International Airport in Delhi has become free of single-use plastic usage, becoming the first airport in India to achieve the milestone.
- The initiative is in line with the Indian PM’s vision to abolish all single-use plastic from India by 2022.
- The Confederation of Indian Industry-ITC Centre of Excellence for Sustainable Development (CII-ITC CESD), known for supporting business communities toward achieving sustainability, certified DIAL for its voluntary and successful implementation of single-use plastic-free airport measures within IGI Airport’s operations.
Ministry of Textile Organises KALA KUMBH –Handicrafts Exhibitions for promotion of GI Crafts
- The Ministry of Textiles is organising Kala Kumbh – Handicrafts Thematic Exhibition in various parts of the country from 14 to 23 February 2020 to promote Geographical Indication (GI) crafts and heritage of India.
- The exhibition is being sponsored by Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts (EPCH).
- It will be held in Bengaluru and Mumbai from 14 Feb to 23 Feb while, it will also be organized in Kolkata and Chennai in March 2020.
Hindi third most spoken language in the world after English, Mandarin
- Hindi is the third most spoken language of the world in 2019 with 615 million speakers, according to the 22nd edition of the world language database Ethnologue, published by U.S.-based, Christian non-profit organization Summer Institute of Linguistics (SIL).
- English is the topmost spoken language in the world with 1,132 million speakers.
- Chinese Mandarin is at the second position with 1,117 million speakers.
- Bangla is the 7th most spoken language of the world having 228 million native speakers.
- The 2020 database report covers 7,111 living languages of the world.
11 Indian Universities make it to top 100 THE Emerging Economies University Rankings, 2020
- A record number of 11 Indian Universities have made it to the top 100 Times Higher Education’s (THE) Emerging Economies University Rankings 2020.
- Overall 56 Indian universities appear in the full ranking of a total of 533 universities from 47 emerging countries or regions of the world.
- The Indian Institute of Science (IISc) is India’s top-ranked institution in the index at 16th position.
- Mainland China is the most-represented nation overall, with 81 institutions, followed by India at 56 and Brazil at 46.
- China claimed 14 places in the top 30 of the THE Emerging Economies University Rankings 2020, including all of the top four places.
- Tsinghua University
- Peking University
- Zhejiang University
- University of Science and Technology of China
India Ranks 35th in EIU’s Worldwide Education for the Future Index 2019
- India has jumped five places to be ranked 35th in the Worldwide Educating for the Future Index (WEFFI) 2019, published by The Economist Intelligence Unit.
- India scored 53 points out of 100 in the overall index in 2019. It was ranked 40th with an overall score of 41.2 in 2018.
- The index has been topped by Finland (84.8), followed by Sweden (84.3) and New Zealand (79.9) at second and third respectively.
- Kenya (48), Nigeria (49) and the Democratic Republic of Congo (50) are the bottom three countries in the index.
Ashraf Ghani Wins Afghanistan Presidential Elections for Second Successive Term
- The incumbent President of Afghanistan Ashraf Ghani has won the Presidential election of the country for the second term.
- Mr. Ghani won 9,23,592 votes (50.64%), compared to his main challenger and the country’s Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah who received 7,20,841 votes (39.52%).
AIFF receives Asian Football Confederation’s Grassroots Charter Bronze Level membership
- The All India Football Federation (AIFF) has received the Asian Football Confederation’s “Grassroots Charter Bronze Level” membership on 14 February 2020.
- This declaration accords AIFF the right to promote its basic-level events and activities with the support and recognition of the AFC in accordance with the applicable terms of the AFC Grassroots Charter.
- Asian Football Confederation headquarter-Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5th Soil Health Card Day Observed on 19 February 2020
- Every year India observes the Soil Health Card Day on 19 February to commemorate the launch of the Soil Health Card (SHC) Scheme, and create awareness about the benefits of the scheme. .
- 2020 marks the fifth year of the launch of the SHC Scheme.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Soil Health Card (SHC) Scheme on 19th February, 2015 at Suratgarh in Rajasthan
- The scheme aims at issuing soil health cards to farmers every two years so as to provide a basis to address nutritional deficiencies in soil. The scheme ensures additional income to farmers by an increase in yields and it also promotes sustainable farming.
Women’s Golf Legend Mickey Wright Passes Away at 85
- American professional golfer Mickey Wright, often described as the greatest woman golfer of all time, has passed away. She was 85.
- Wright was winner of thirteen-time major title and 82 LPGA Tour titles during a professional career which stretched from 1954 to 1969.
Manchester United and Northern Ireland great Harry Gregg, Passes Away at 87
- Northern Ireland professional footballer, Harry Gregg, who as the former goalkeeper of Manchester United has died at the age of 87.
- He is a widely famous as the hero of the Munich air crash, on 6 February 1958, in which 23 people died, including eight of Manchester United’s teammate.
- He rescued a mother and her baby daughter, team-mates Bobby Charlton and Jackie Blanchflower and manager Matt Busby from the wreckage of the plane.