Daily Current Affairs 05 June 2019: We have collected the latest current affairs for 05 June 2019 that are important for all competitive exams like bank, ssc, ibps, sbi exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 05 June 2019
Delhi Metro becomes India’s first project to receive power from waste-to-energy plant
- Delhi Metro has become the first ever project in India to receive power generated from a waste-to-energy plant.
- The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) has started receiving 2 MW power from a 12 MW capacity waste-to-energy plant set up in Ghazipur. DMRC will take approximately 17.5 million units per annum from this plant.
- The waste-to-energy plant set up by East Delhi Waste Processing Company Limited (EDWPCL) is based on a Public Private Partnership (PPP) involving the Delhi government and East Delhi Municipal Corporation (EDMC), besides the EDWPCL.
Over Rs 50 Crore Haj House Inaugurated in Ranchi
- Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das inaugurated a “Haj House” in Ranchi on June 4 2019, calling it as ‘festive gift ahead of Id-ul-Fitr’.
- The five-storey Haj House is spread over an area of 10,000 sq m and costs more than Rs 50 crore.
- It can accommodate around 1,000 people to offer namaz, and also 150 men and 80 women can stay in it before they leave for Mecca.
Gujarat Launches World’s First Trading Program for Particulate Air Pollution
- Gujarat has launched the world’s first emissions trading system for particulate pollution. It has been launched on World Environment Day i.e June 05, 2019.
- The programme is a market-based system where the government sets a cap on emissions and allows industries to buy and sell permits to stay below the cap.
RBI move a spot up at 10th in Gold Reserve Holding: WGC
- The Reserve Bank of India has moved to rank 10th in terms of gold reserves with the central banks. Reserve Bank has 612.6 tonnes of Gold as per Data released by World Gold Council in June 2019.
- RBI has replaced the Netherlands at 10th spot. In the ranking of March 2019, RBI was on the 11th spot. Now RBI holds 6.1% of the total gold reserves.
- The United States is the top holder of Gold Reserves.
LIC revises rule to increase maternity leave to 15 months
- Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has increased the maternity leave for its female employees from 12 months to 15 months.
- Female employees can take maternity leave which may extend up to six months at a stretch, subject to a maximum of 15 months during the entire period of the employee’s service.
- In simple words, 6 months for the first time, 6 months for the second time and 3 months for the third time.
- As of March 31, 2018, out of LIC’s total employee strength of nearly 1.12 lakh, 24,000 were women.
World Bank sign $287 million loan agreement for the Tamil Nadu Health System Reform Programme
- The Government of India, Government of Tamil Nadu (GoTN) and the World Bank have signed a $287 million loan agreement for the Tamil Nadu Health System Reform Programme.
- The programme aims to improve the quality of health care, reduce the burden of non-communicable diseases (NCDs), and fill equity gaps in reproductive and child health services in Tamil Nadu.
- Tamil Nadu ranks third among all Indian states in the NITI Aayog Health Index which is reflected in vastly improved health outcomes.
India’s GDP Pegged at 7.5% for FY20, FY21 and FY22: World Bank
- The World Bank has retained its forecast of India’s growth rate at 7.5 percent for the financial year 2019-20 in its 2019 ‘Global Economic Prospects: Heightened Tensions, Subdued Growth’ report on June 4, 2019.
- It also expects the growth rate to stay at this pace for the next two fiscals, meaning 2020-21 and 2021-22.
- World Bank has downgraded the global growth prospects by 0.3% to 2.6% for the 2019-20 fiscal.
- For FY21 and FY 22, the growth is projected at 2.7% and 2.8% respectively.
UDIN mention now mandatory for audit reports from July 1
- The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) has made it mandatory to mention the Unique Document Identification Number (UDIN) in audit reports starting July 01, 2019.
- The UDIN would help to verify online whether a certificate or audit report that has been submitted has actually been signed by a chartered accountant.
- DIN is a unique number, which will be generated for every document certified/attested by Practising Chartered Accountants and registered with the UDIN portal. The portal is available at https://udin.icai.org/.
India Ranks 95 in SDG Global Gender Equality Index; Denmark Tops
- India has ranked 95 out of 129 countries in a new Sustainable Development Goals Gender Index 2019, that measures global gender equality. India scored 56.2 points on a scale of 100.
- The index is based on 51 indicators across 14 of the 17 official Sustainable Development Goals.
- Denmark has topped the index with 89.3 points, followed by Finland (88.8) and Sweden (88.0).
- Chad was the lowest ranking country, placed at 129th place with 33.4 points.
Global Entrepreneurship Summit 2019 Held in The Hague, Netherlands
- The ninth edition of the Global Entrepreneurship Summit was held in The Hague, Netherlands from June 3-5, 2019. For the first time, the event was held in European Union.
- About 1,200 entrepreneurs from across 140 countries, including 33 from India, participated in the Summit to deliberate on the five global challenges surrounding water, agriculture, healthcare, connectivity, and energy.
- The Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES) 2019 is an initiative of the government of United States of America to bring together global leaders in entrepreneurship, innovation, investment and policy to support deals that matters to everyone.
2nd Global Disability Summit to be Held at Buenos Aires, Argentina
- The 2nd edition of the Global Disability Summit will be held at Buenos Aires, Argentina from 6-8 June 2019.
- The Indian delegation will be headed by Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Shri Thaawarchand Gehlot.
- The Summit aims to deliberate on issues across the world concerning empowerment and inclusion of Persons with Disabilities (PwDs) and to work out a mechanism for enabling them to live an independent and dignified life.
- The 1st Global Disability Summit was held in London in July 2018.
Book Titled “Cricket World Cup” Written by Ashis Ray Launched
- Veteran cricket broadcaster and writer Ashis Ray has come out with a new book titled “Cricket World Cup: The Indian Challenge” which is based on the history of the tournament from an Indian perspective.
- The book covers all tournaments since its inaugural 44 years ago, from 1975 to 2015, as well as every semi-final and final regardless of whether India featured in them or not.
- It also previews the ongoing 2019 World Cup in England and Wales.
- The book was formally unveiled by the Chief Executive of the England and Wales Cricket Board, Tom Harrison.
Dighi Port chief Vijay Kalantri declared wilful defaulter by Bank of Baroda
- Vijay Goverdhandas Kalantri, chairman and managing director of Dighi Port has been declared willful defaulter by Bank of Baroda.
- Vijay Goverdhandas Kalantri, chairman and managing director of Dighi Port, and his son Vishal Kalantri, a director of the port, owe approximately Rs 3,334 crore to a consortium of 16 Indian banks led by Bank of India.
- The following persons/entity have been declared wilful defaulter by Vijaya Bank (Now Bank of Baroda)
- Dighi Port Limited , (borrower)
- Vishal Vijay Kalantri, director and guarantor and
- Vijay Goverdhandas Kalantri, director and guarantor.
Indian Army in Punjab Conducts Exercise “Kharga Prahar”
- The Indian Army in Punjab, Kharga Corps, carried out a major training exercise named “Kharga Prahar” from May 27 to June 4, 2019 in the plains of Punjab.
- Ambala based II Corps, also known as Kharga Corps, is part of Western Command of Indian Army.
- It was carried out to strengthen the operational preparedness of the Army’s Kharga Corps.
- Apart from various units and formations of Army’s Kharga Corps, components of the Indian Air Force also participated in the exercise.
Twitter acquires start-up Fabula AI
- Twitter has acquired London-based start-up Fabula AI with an aim to detect network manipulation in time.
- Fabula AI has a world-class team of Machine Learning (ML) researchers who employ graph deep learning to detect network manipulation.
- The Fabula AI team would join the Twitter team to stop spam and abuse and other strategic priorities in the future.
Gianni Infantino Re-elected as FIFA President for Second Term
- Gianni Infantino has been re-elected as president of world football governing body FIFA on June 5, 2019 for a second term.
- The 49-year-old Swiss-Italian lawyer will be incharge for a period of four years until 2023.
- He took the charge of FIFA since February 2016.
Sunder Pichai and Nasdaq’s Friedman Named for 2019 Global Leadership Award
- Indian-American Sunder Pichai, CEO at Google and NASDAQ president Adena Friedman have been chosen for the prestigious Global Leadership Awards 2019, given by Washington-based US-India Business Council (USIBC).
- 46-year-old Pichai, and Friedman, 50 will receive the award during the ‘India Ideas Summit’ 2019.
- The USIBC Global Leadership Awards is given annually since 2007 to recognise top corporate executives from the United States and India whose companies play a major role in catalysing growth in the US-India commercial corridor.
Actress Sheela Honored with Prestigious J C Daniel Award
- Veteran Indian film actress, Sheela, who works predominantly in Malayalam cinema has been selected for the prestigious J C Daniel Award for the year 2018.
- It is the Kerala government’s highest honour for outstanding contribution to Malayalam cinema.
- Since its inception in 1992, the J. C. Daniel Award has been bestowed on 26 individuals.
- Actresses Sheela and Aranmula Ponnamma are the only women who has received the honour, in 2005 and 2018 respectively.
International Day For The Fight Against Illegal, Unreported And Unregulated Fishing: June 5
- The International Day for the Fight Against Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) Fishing is observed on June 5 to highlight efforts taking place globally, regionally and nationally to combat illegal fishing.
- The International Day for the Fight Against Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) Fishing was proposed by FAO and recognized by the United Nations General Assembly on 5 December 2017.
- The day was celebrated for the first time in 2018.
World Environment Day: June 5
- The World Environment Day (WED) is celebrated on June 5 every year to raise awareness and encourage action for the protection of our environment.
- The theme for 2019 WED is “Air Pollution”
- The host country for 2019 WED is China.
- WED was first established by the UN General Assembly in 1972 to tackle the emerging environmental issues of pollution, global warming, human overpopulation, sustainable consumption and wildlife crime.
Actor Dinyar Contractor passed away
- Veteran comedian, theatre and films actor Dinyar Contractor passed away at the age of 79 years.
- He acted in several Gujarati, Hindi and English stage productions as well as Hindi movies. He was awarded the Padma Shri in January 2019.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union Minister Smriti Irani condoled his death. He has worked in prominent films like “Baazigar”, “Khiladi” and “36 China Town”.