Daily Current Affairs 14 April 2019: We have collected the latest current affairs for 14 April 2019 that are important for all competitive exams like bank, ssc, ibps, sbi exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 14 April 2019
21st ASEAN-India Senior Officials Meeting (AISOM) Held in New Delhi
- The 21 edition of the ASEAN-India Senior Officials’ Meeting (SOM) was held from 11-12 April 2019 at New Delhi.
- Thailand, which has assumed the role as the Chairmanship of ASEAN for 2019, is the Country Coordinator of the ASEAN-India dialogue parternship for the period 2018-2021.
- The AISOM agreed to deepen Maritime Cooperation, cooperation on financial matters, Cooperation in Renewable Energy and hold an ASEAN-India Conference on Renewable Energy in 2019.
- The ASEAN-India partnership is being implemented through the ‘Plan of Action (2016-20) to implement the ASEAN-India Partnership for Peace, Progress and Shared Prosperity’.
World Bank/IMF Spring Meetings 2019 held in Washington DC
- The Spring Meeting 2019 of the Boards of Governors of the World Bank Group (WBG) and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) was held between April 8-14, 2019 in Washington DC, US.
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and Economic Affairs Secretary Subhash Chandra Garg represented India in the meeting.
World’s largest plane “Stratolaunch” takes off for the first time
- The world’s largest airplane a Stratolaunch has made its first test flight in California. It uses two fuselages and 6 Boeing 747 engines. The plane is built by Stratolaunch Systems Corp.
- The wingspan of the plane is 385 ft (117 m). In its test flight, the Plane flew up to 4,572m (15,000 ft) and reached a top speed of about 274 km/h(170 miles per hour).
Airtel, FLO launch mobile app “My Circle” for women’s safety
- FICCI Ladies Organisation (FLO) in collaboration with Bharti Airtel, has launched a mobile app named My Circle for women’s safety.
- The app has SOS Alert button, using which a woman can send SOS alert to her family members in 13 different languages. The SOS Alert can also be activated via voice command using Siri assistant in iOS.
- The app would send alert messages to 5 contacts selected by the woman along with the user’s location over SMS.
Reuters reporters Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo Selected for 2019 UNESCO/Guillermo Cano Press Freedom Prize
- Two Reuters journalists named Kyaw Soe Oo and Wa Lone from Myanmar have been named for UNESCO/Guillermo Cano Press Freedom Prize for the year 2019 as a tribute to their courage, resistance and commitment to freedom of expression.
- Both the reporters are currently serving seven-year prison sentences in Myanmar since 12 December 2017.
- They were arrested because, while working for the Reuters news agency they documented a taboo topic regarding alleged human rights violations and crimes committed against Rohingyas in Myanmar’s state of Rakhine.
- The Prize will be awarded to the duo on 2 May as part of the celebration of World Press Freedom Day which falls on 3 May.
Lewis Hamilton wins 2019 Chinese Grand Prix
- British driver Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) has won the 2019 Chinese Grand Prix title held at Shanghai International Circuit, Shanghai, China.
- This was 6th Chinese Grand Prix win for Hamilton and overall 1000th win in F1 race overall.
- In terms of Grand Prix win, this was his 75th victory. He is just 16 wins short of Michael Schumacher record 91 wins.
- Valtteri Bottas was second while Sebastian Vettel was third.
Goa wins 2019 Indian Super Cup (Football)
- FC Goa defeated Chennaiyin FC 2-1 to win the 2019 Super Cup of Football. The finals was held at Kalinga Stadium, Bhubaneshwar.
Winners List of 2019 Singapore Open
The 2019 Singapore Open was a badminton tournament held from April 9-14, 2019. It was also the tenth tournament of the 2019 BWF World Tour.
Kento Momota (Japan)
Anthony Sinisuka Ginting (Indonesia)
Tai Tzu-ying (Taiwan)
Nozomi Okuhara (Japan)
Takeshi Kamura and
Keigo Sonoda (Japan)
Mohammad Ahsan and Hendra Setiawan (Indonesia)
Mayu Matsumoto and Wakana Nagahara (Japan)
Kim Hye-jeong and Kong Hee-yong (South Korea)
Dechapol Puavaranukroh and Sapsiree Taerattanachai (Thailand)
Tan Kian Meng and Lai Pei Jing (Malaysia)
Meena Kumari Maisnam Clinches Cologne Boxing World Cup 2019
- Indian boxer, Meena Kumari Maisnam, clinched the gold medal in the 54 kg category event to finish on the top of the podium at the Cologne Boxing World Cup 2019 held at Cologne, Germany from April 9-14, 2019.
- Manipur based Meena defeated Thailand’s Machai Bunyanut in the final.
- India finished the tournament with five medals including 1 Gold, 2 Silver and 2 Bronze.
- Silver medals came from Sakshi (57kg) and Pwilao Basumatary (64kg) while Pinki Rani (51kg) and Parveen (60kg) settled for bronze.
Nation Observed 128th Birth Anniversary of Dr Bhimrao Ambedkar on 14 April 2019
- India celebrated Ambedkar Jayanti on April 14, 2019, to commemorate the 128th birth anniversary of the architect of the Indian Constitution, Dr BR Ambedkar.
- Often called as Babasaheb, he was born on 14 April 1891.
- He was independent India’s first law and justice minister as well as a founding father of the Republic of India.
- Ambedkar was posthumously conferred with the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian award, in 1990.
International Turban Day: April 13
- The International Turban Day is celebrated on April 13 every year since 2004 to bring awareness of the strict requirement on Sikhs to put the turban as a mandatory part of their religion.
- The 2019 Turban Day marked the 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev and the festival of Baisakhi.
SRK’s TV series ‘FAUJI’ Director Colonel Raj Kapoor Passes Away at 87
- Colonel Raj Kumar Kapoor, the famous director of the Television Series FAUJI, who helped Shah Rukh Khan make his acting debut through the show, passed away recently. He was 87.
- Fauji was one of the most popular TV shows broadcasted on Doordarshan in the 1988 and it made Shah Rukh Khan a household name.
- Apart from directing and producing TV shows, Colonel Raj Kapoor also acted in feature and ad films.
Former MP and Freedom Fighter Paripooranand Painuli Passes Away at 94
- Paripooranand Painuli, the former Congress MP and the freedom fighter who participated in the Quit India Movement passed away at the age of 94.
- Paripooranand Painuli was part of the Quit India Movement when is was 17 years old.
- He had led a non-violent movement against the Tehri-Garhwal state resulting in the overthrow of the Tehri Maharaja and the establishment of a popular government before the state’s merger with Uttar Pradesh in 1949.
- He had also worked as a journalist with the Times of India in the 1940s.