Daily Current Affairs 12 April 2019: We have collected the latest current affairs for 12 April 2019 that are important for all competitive exams like bank, ssc, ibps, sbi exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 12 April 2019
PM Modi Conferred with Russia’s Highest Civilian Honour
- The Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi, was conferred with the highest civilian award of Russia, the”Order of Saint Andrew The Apostle” on April 12 on behalf of President Vladimir Putin.
- He was honored for his exceptional services in promoting special & privileged strategic partnership between Russia and India.
- This is the seventh award conferred on PM Modi by a foreign country.
- The Order of St Andrew the Apostle is awarded to prominent statesmen and public figures and representatives of science, culture, the arts and various industries for their exceptional services in promoting the prosperity, greatness and glory of Russia.
- The order can also be awarded to foreign heads of state for outstanding services to Russia.
Namami Gange Gets Global Recognition at World Water Summit in London
- India’s flagship programme, National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) or Namami Gange has been felicitated with the ‘Public Water Agency of the Year’ award 2019 at the Global Water Summit held on April 9, 2019 in London.
- Namami Gange is an initiative for rejuvenation of the river Ganga and make it pollution free.
- Global Water Summit is a major business conference for the water industry worldwide and is marked by Global Water Awards that are presented by the Global Water Intelligence.
- The Global Water Awards recognise excellence across the entire international water industry and reward those initiatives in the water, wastewater, and desalination sectors which bring remarkable improvements in the lives of people.
India to Participate as Guest of Honour Country at ADIBF 2019 in UAE
- India has been selected as the Guest of Honour country by the United Arab Emirates (UAE) for the Abu Dhabi International Book Fair, ADIBF 2019 that will be held from 24 to 30 April 2019.
- The 29th edition of the fair will highlight the UAE’s rich heritage, its authenticity and modernity, as well as its cultural and literary output.
- The Indian Pavilion will feature Indian writers, authors and literary scholars who will serve as ambassadors for the literature and art of their country.
HDFC Bank Ranks No 1 Indian Bank in World’s Best Banks Survey by Forbes
- India’s largest private sector lender, HDFC Bank has been ranked No 1 in India based on customer satisfaction in the first edition of the ‘World’s Best Banks’ survey by Forbes magazine.
- For the survey, Forbes partnered with market research firm Statista and measured the best banks in 23 countries.
- The survey did not take into account the financial performance, or balance sheets and P&L statements of the banks. Customers rated banks on overall recommendation and satisfaction based on 5 key attributes namely:
2) terms and conditions
3) customer service
4) digital service
5) financial advice
- ICICI Bank stood at second place followed by DBS at third in Forbes list for India.
PayU acquires financial security firm Wibmo for USD 70 mn
- PayU, a Digital payments facilitator has acquired US-based financial technology firm Wibmo for USD 70 million (about Rs 484 crore).
- Under the agreement, PayU and Wibmo businesses will continue to run separately.
World Allergy Week 2019 – (7-13 April)
- World Allergy Week 2019 is being observed between 07-13 April 2019.
- Theme for 2019: “The Global Problem of Food Allergy”
- World Allergy Week is a global campaign of the World Allergy Organisation (WAO), which aims to raise awareness of the impact of allergy in our communities.
World Parkinson’s Day: April 11
- Every year, April 11 is observed as World Parkinson’s Day to raise awareness of Parkinson’s disease, which is a progressive nervous system disorder.
- The day marks the birthday of Dr James Parkinson from London, who was the first person to systematically described the six individuals with the symptoms of Parkinson Disease.
National Safe Motherhood Day: April 11
- India observes National Safe Motherhood Day (NSMD) annually on April 11 to discuss the problems associated with a mother’s health and focus on the priorities to ensure that every woman has the right to live and has a safe motherhood, eliminating the pre and post pregnancy risks.
- India is the first country in the world to officially declare National Safe Motherhood Day
- The 2019 theme of NSMD is “Midwives for Mothers”.
- The day also marks the birth anniversary of Kasturba Gandhi, the wife of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi.
International Day of Human Space Flight: April 12
- The International Day of Human Space Flight is the celebrated every year on April 12 to mark the anniversary of the first human space flight by Yuri Gagarin in the year 1961.
- The day was proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly on April 7, 2011.
Chief of GIC India, Alice G. Vaidyan, Conferred with Freedom of the City of London
- Alice G. Vaidyan, the Chairman and Managing Director of the General Insurance Corporation (GIC) of India (GIC Re), has been awarded with the ‘Freedom of the City of London’ in recognition of her work to promote insurance ties between India and the UK.
- The City of London Corporation organised the first UK-India Insurance Summit on April 11, 2019 to bring together professionals and experts from both countries to discuss further opportunities for collaboration.
- The Freedom of the City of London is being bestowed since 13th century and honour individuals who make an impact in the financial hub of London, referred to as the City or the Square Mile.
- General Insurance Corporation (GIC) of India (GIC Re) is a reinsurance company headquartered at Mumbai.
‘Uri: The Surgical Strike’ Actor Navtej Hundal Passes Away at 86
- Bollywood actor Navtej Hundal, who recently appeared in Aditya Dhar directed “Uri: The Surgical Strike”, passed away after being treated for a chronic Hepatitis B disease recently. He was 86.
- Navtej Hundal played the role of home minister in Uri: The Surgical Strike.