Daily Current Affairs 29 February 2020: We have collected the latest current affairs for 29 February 2020 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the daily current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 29 February 2020
Madhya Pradesh tops in NCAER land record index
- Madhya Pradesh has topped the NCAER Land Records and Services Index (N-LRSI 2020). The index assesses the extent of digitisation of land records and their quality across 33 states and Union Territories (UTs).
- Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh, and Tamil Nadu are the top five states in the order of 1 to 5.
- Ladakh is ranked last.
Indian Railways launches its First “Restaurant on Wheels” at Asansol Station
- Indian Railways has launched its first ‘Restaurant on Wheels’ at the circulating area of Asansol Railway station (West Bengal) for the use of Railway passengers as well as general public of Asansol.
- The inauguration was done by inister of State for Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Shri Babul Supriyo.
- The Restaurant on Wheels at Asansol station circulating area was developed by refurbishing two over aged MEMU coaches.
RBI links all floating rate loans to Medium Enterprises to external benchmark rate
- RBI has mandated that all new floating rate loans to the Medium Enterprises extended by banks from April 01, 2020 shall be linked to the external benchmarks.
- Earlier in September 2019, all new floating rate personal or retail loans (housing, auto, etc.) and floating rate loans to Micro and Small Enterprises (MSEs) extended by banks were linked to external benchmarks. Due to its success, the above step has been taken.
- The rates can be benchmarked to one of the following:
- Reserve Bank of India policy repo rate
- Government of India 3-Months Treasury Bill yield published by the Financial Benchmarks India Private Ltd (FBIL)
- Government of India 6-Months Treasury Bill yield published by the FBIL
- Any other benchmark market interest rate published by the FBIL.
SEBI Chairman Ajay Tyagi Gets 6-month Extension
- The Centre has extended the term of appointment of Ajay Tyagi, the Chairman of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) by another six months.
- The term of Tyagi, an Indian Administrative Service officer of Himachal Pradesh Cadre, was supposed to end on 29th February 2020.
- He will continue to head the regulator until the government finds a successor.
- Initially Tyagi was appointed for a period of three years and was eligible for an extension of two years.
- He will now head the regulator for a period of six months beyond 29.02.20 or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
Sumant Kathpalia named new MD-CEO of IndusInd Bank
- Sumant Kathpalia has been named the new managing director (MD) and chief executive officer (CEO) of IndusInd Bank.
- He will replace Romesh Sobti from March 24, 2020.
- The bank had proposed the name of Kathpalia to RBI for the role, and after approval from RBI, Kathpalia has now been named the MD-CEO.
Muhyiddin Yassin appointed prime minister of Malaysia
- Muhyiddin Yassin has been named the new Prime Minister of Malaysia by the king of Malaysia.
- The decision came five days after the resignation of 94-year-old Mahathir, the world’s oldest head of government.
- Muhyiddin Yassin will be sworn in on March 01, 2020.
2020 Asia Cup Cricket Tournament Shifted from Pakistan to Dubai
- The 15th edition of the biennial event of 2020 Asia Cup cricket tournament has been shifted from Pakistan.
- The tournament will now be held in Dubai, to be played in the T20 format in September 2020.
- The change of the venue has been confirmed by President of BCCI Sourav Ganguly.
- The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) were granted the rights to host the tournament by the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) in December 2018.
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) requested that the PCB change the event’s venue due to ongoing political tension between the two countries.
- BCCI made it clear that the Indian cricket team will not be participating in the tournament if Pakistan hosts it.
Rare Disease Day: February 29, 2020
- Rare Disease Day is observed every year on the last day of February. This year in 2020 it falls on February 29, 2020.
- It is observed to raise awareness for rare diseases and improve access to treatment and medical representation for individuals with rare diseases and their families.
- Theme for 2020: “Rare is Many. Rare is Strong. Rare is Proud”.