Daily Current Affairs 23 October 2019: We have collected the latest current affairs for 23 October 2019 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the daily current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 23 October 2019
Government announces merger of BSNL and MTNL
- Government has given in-principle approval of merger of BSNL & MTNL and approved the proposal for revival of BSNL and MTNL by administrative allotment of spectrum for 4G services, debt restructuring by raising of bonds with sovereign guarantee, reducing employee costs, monetization of assets.
- The following approvals have been given:
- Administrative allotment of spectrum for 4G services to BSNL and MTNL. The said Spectrum will be funded by the Government of India by capital infusion in these PSUs at a value of Rs 20,140 Cr in addition; the GST amount of Rs 3,674 Cr to this spectrum value will also be borne by the Government of India
- BSNL and MTNL will also raise long-term bonds of Rs 15,000 Cr for which sovereign guarantee will be provided by the Government of India (GoI)
- BSNL and MTNL will also offer Voluntary Retirement to their employees, aged 50 years and above through attractive Voluntary Retirement Scheme (VRS)
- Till the merger, MTNL will act as a subsidiary of BSNL.
Govt to launch “Indradhanush 2” for covering low immunisation pockets on October 31
- Union Health Ministry will launch the “Mission Indradhanush 2.0” on October 31, 2019 that will carry out massive immunization program in 271 districts across the nation and 652 blocks located in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar. It will cover the areas identified as “low immunisation pockets”.
- October 31 is also the silver jubilee of the Polio eradication campaign. However, the campaign will come into implementation from December 2.
- Total vaccination program is dedicated for children up to 2 years of age and for all pregnant women.
DSCI launces TechSagar portal – a Knowledge Repository For Businesses, Startups and Researchers
- The National Cyber Security Coordinator’s office in partnership with Data Security Council of India (DSCI) has launched a portal named TechSagar (www.techsagar.in) which lists every technology-based business and research entities.
- The portal lists all IT Industry, startups, Academia to even Individual Researchers. The platform will be frequently updated with new entities and information.
- The portal was launched by Rajesh Pant, National Cyber Security Coordinator of India.
India ranked 32 in Melbourne Mercer Global Pension Index (MMGPI); Top – Netherlands
- India has been ranked at 32 in the Melbourne Mercer Global Pension Index (MMGPI) 2019. The index ranks countries in terms of providing pension and retirement benefits to citizens.
- The index has been topped by the Netherlands while Thailand is at the bottom. The total number of countries included in the ranking is 37. Last year India’s rank was 33.
IIT Bombay tops QS India University Rankings 2020
- Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) has released the QS India University Rankings 2020 and has been topped by IIT Bombay.
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore is ranked second, IIT Delhi is ranked third, IIT Madras is 4th and IIT Kharagpur is fifth.
- The institute published a separate ranking for India for the first time in 2019 and IIT Bombay had topped the India list even then
Pankaj Kumar, Braj Raj Sharma appointed as Chief of UIDAI, SSC resp.
- Government has made the following two appointments:
- CEO of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)– Pankaj Kumar
- Chairman of Staff Selection Commission (SSC)– Braj Raj Sharma
Sourav Ganguly elected as 39th President of BCCI
- Sourav Ganguly has been elected as the 39th President of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI). He was the only person contending for the post. Some other appointments in BCCI are:
- Secretary- Jay Shah
- Vice-president- Mahim Verma
- Joint-Secretary- Jayesh George
- Treasurer- Arun Singh Dhumal
- Councillor- Prabhtej Singh Bhatia
- Before appointment of Ganguly as the President of BCCI, C.K. Khanna had served as the interim President of BCCI (after removal of Anurag Thakur from the post)
Wipro elected as DJSI World index member for 10th consecutive year
- IT major firm Wipro Ltd has announced that it has been selected as a member of the global Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) 2019 for the tenth year in succession.
- More than 2,000 companies were assessed from around the world and only 319 made it to the final DJSI World index for 2019-2020.
NCRB releases Crime in India report 2017
- National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) has released the 2017 Crime in India report. The NCRB report has been published after a delay of two years an includes 88 new categories Here are the major highlights:
- 30% increase in cases recorded as “offences against the State.”.
- The total number of cases registered in 2017 stood at 9,013 compared to 6,986 cases registered in 2016.
- The maximum number of these cases were reported from Haryana (2,576), Uttar Pradesh (2,055) and Tamil Nadu (1,802).
- Cyber frauds relating to credit cards stood at 395 cases, for ATMs at 1543 cases, online fraud stood at 804, and 170 cases of posting fake news on social media were also included in the report.
- Uttar Pradesh topped the list of states with the most number of crimes against women.
Praveen wins gold in Wushu World Championship; 1st Indian male to win
- Praveen Kumar of India defeated Russel Diaz of Philippines in the 48kg category to win a Gold medal in Wushu World Championships in Shanghai.
- He is the first Indian man to win a wushu World Championships gold. In 2017 Pooja Kadian became the first Indian to be crowned world champion.
International Snow Leopard Day: October 23
- October 23 is observed as International Snow Leopard Day in order to commemorate the anniversary of the Bishkek Declaration and to create awareness about the snow leopard.
- On the occasion, Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change (MoEFCC), Shri Prakash Javadekar launched the First National Protocol on Snow Leopard Population Assessment in India.
- This was launched at the Global Snow Leopard & Ecosystem Protection (GSLEP) Conference in New Delhi.
- Snow Leopard is found in 12 countries. They are India, Nepal, Bhutan, China, Mongolia, Russia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.
International Stuttering Awareness Day: October 22
- Since 1998, every year October 22 is observed as International Stuttering Awareness Day.
- The day is intended to raise public awareness of the millions of people who have a speech disorder of stuttering.
- Theme 2019: “Growth Through Speaking”
Delhi’s Vivaan Gupta becomes the youngest Indian to travel all continents of the world.
Indian Army will conduct exercise ‘Sindhu Sudarshan’ in the deserts of Rajasthan from 29 November to 4 December 2019. Indian Air Force (IAF) will also be the part of the exercise.
ITC Ltd. has launched the world’s most expensive chocolate priced at Rs 4.3 lakh per kilogram under its Fabelle brand.