Daily Current Affairs 18 October 2019: We have collected the latest current affairs for 18 October 2019 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the daily current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 18 October 2019
India Ranks Third, China Tops Inaugural Hurun Global Unicorn List 2019
- India has emerged as third largest ecosystem for more successful tech startups, in the inaugural Hurun Global Unicorn List 2019.
- The Hurun Global Unicorn List 2019 is a ranking of the world’s billion-dollar tech ‘start-ups’ founded in the 2000s and not yet listed on a public exchange.
- India has 21 unicorns, which is led by payments solutions platform One97 Communications ($10 billion) and followed by cab aggregator Ola Cabs ($6 billion); online educator Byju’s ($6 billion) and travel-stay finder OYO Rooms ($5 billion).
- The Hurun Global Unicorn List 2019 has been topped by China with the most number of Unicorns, 206.
- United States stands second with 203 Unicorns.
- The report ranks 494 unicorns in the world, based in 25 countries and 118 cities.
Dr Jitendra Singh Inaugurates 11th Nuclear Energy Conclave in New Delhi
- Dr Jitendra Singh, the Union Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region (I/C), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space inaugurated the 11th Nuclear Energy Conclave, 2019 in New Delhi on October 18.
- The Theme of the Conclave: Economics of Nuclear Power- Innovation towards Safer & Cost Effective Technologies.
India Post Launches Commemorative Stamp on Centenary of NIN
- Dr Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare released a postal stamp to commemorate the centenary celebrations of the Hyderabad-based National Institute of Nutrition (NIN) on October 18, 2019 at Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), in New Delhi.
- The stamps have been brought out under ‘Corporate My Stamp’ scheme of the India Posts.
- About 5000 stamps with a face value of Rs 5 per stamp have been printed.
- NIN is the oldest Institute under the ICMR.
Odisha Opens its First Robot Restaurant In Bhubaneswar
- Odisha has recently inducted two indigenously developed robots named ‘Champa’ and ‘Chameli’ in service of customers at Robo Chef restaurant, at Infocity DLF Tower area in Bhubaneswar.
- It is the first restaurant in Odisha, as well as the first restaurant in eastern India where robots are engaged in serving food to the customers.
- These robots have been developed at a Jaipur-based start up and are based on SLAM (Simultaneous Localization And Mapping) technology that needs no guided path or environment modification for installation in any restaurant.
- Although restaurants in Chennai and Bengaluru already offer food services through robots, the machines are imported from China.
JSW Steel Chairman Sajjan Jindal Elected Vice-Chairman of worldsteel
- The Board of Directors of World Steel Association (worldsteel) has elected Sajjan Jindal, JSW Steel Chairman and Managing Director (CMD), as its Vice-chairman for a period of one year.
- List of New Appointments (for one year)
- Chairman – YU Yong, Chairman, HBIS Group Co., Ltd.
- Vice Chairman – Sajjan JINDAL, Chairman and Managing Director, JSW Steel Limited
- Vice Chairman – André JOHANNPETER, Executive Vice Chairman, Gerdau S.A.
- Treasurer – Roger NEWPORT, Chief Executive Officer, AK Steel
- The Board of Directors have also elected 14-member Executive Committee 2019-20
- World Steel Association headquarter – Brussels, Belgium.
Indian Army Launches Software OASIS to Digitize Records of its Officers
- The Indian Army has launched a new software “Officers Automated Structured Information System “ (Oasis) to digitise the service and personal records of the Army officers.
- The new software will be hosted on Army’s intranet and can be accessed by the Army officers to check their details.
- Before this, the records were maintained manually by Manpower Planning (MP) Directorate, making the whole process of collecting the records, checking the records and keeping a track very cumbersome.