Daily Current Affairs 17 October 2019: We have collected the latest current affairs for 17 October 2019 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the daily current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 17 October 2019
Karnataka Tops NITI Aayog’s India Innovation Index 2019; Delhi Tops UT segment
- NITI Aayog released the first ever India Innovation Index (III) 2019 which looks into the innovation ecosystem of Indian states and union territories to help policymakers design policies to drive innovation across regions.
- Ranking is done in three categories: Major States’, ‘North East and Hill States’ and ‘Union Territories (UTs)/City and Small States.
- Major states category: Topped by Karnataka, followed by Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra among
- Union Territories/City states/Small States category: Delhi has topped the list, followed by Chandigarh and Goa.
- North Eastern and Hill states region category: Topped by Sikkim followed by Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.
- The Index has been developed by NITI Aayog with Institute for Competitiveness as the knowledge partner. It is developed on the lines of Global Innovation Index (GII).
Third Edition of Shirui Lily Festival Begins in Manipur
- The third edition of the four-day state festival of Manipur, “Shirui Lily Festival 2019” was inaugurated by Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Tourism and Culture Prahlad Singh Patel on October 16, 2019 at Shirui Vangayan Ground of Ukhrul district.
- The minister also inaugurated the Strength of Unity Statue along with the State Chief Minister N. Biren Singh to mark the occasion.
- Shirui Lily is the State Flower of Manipur and the event is a part of its efforts to develop and implement sustainable and responsible tourism in the State.
Joint air training exercise ‘EX EASTERN BRIDGE-V’ between India and Oman begins at Masirah, Oman
- The joint air training exercise named “EX EASTERN BRIDGE-V” has started between the Indian Air Force (IAF) and the Royal Air Force Oman (RAFO) at Air Force Base Masirah in Oman.
- The exercise will continue till October 26, 2019. This is for the first time that the MiG-29 fighter aircraft will be participating in an international exercise outside India.
Viswanathan Anand authors book titled “Mind Master: Winning Lessons from a Champion’s Life”
- Indian Chess player, Viswanathan Anand has penned a book titled “Mind Master: Winning Lessons from a Champion’s Life”.
- The book is based on the experience he had in the game of Chess. In the book, he revisits his greatest games and worst losses, his unique experiences of playing against the best minds, and the methods he employs to prepare for wins, cope with disappointments and, simply, stay in the game.
Lionel Messi Wins Sixth European Golden Shoe Award
- Barcelona captain Lionel Messi was awarded the European Golden Shoe award 2018-19 for being the top goal scorer in the European leagues.
- This is the 6th Golden shoe award and third straight award (2016-17, 2017-18, 2018-19) for the Argentina superstar.
- Messi won the trophy after scoring 36 goals in 34 La Liga appearances in 2018-19.
- He was presented with the Golden Shoe by his sons Thiago and Mateo.
- The award is given to the player who scores the most league goals from top division of every European national league.
International Day for the Eradication of Poverty: October 17
- The International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is observed every year on October 17 throughout the world to raise awareness of the need to eradicate poverty and destitution worldwide, particularly in developing countries.
- 2019 Theme: Acting Together to Empower Children, their Families and Communities to End Poverty.