Daily Current Affairs 16 February 2020: We have collected the latest current affairs for 16 February 2020 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the daily current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 16 February 2020
All India Conference of Central Administrative Tribunal 2020 held in New Delhi
- The annual All India Conference of the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) was held in New Delhi, on 16 February 2020.
- The Conference was presided over by Union Minister for Law and Justice, Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad.
- The Judicial and Administrative Members from all 17 Benches of CAT from across the country, members of the CAT Bar Association and eminent Jurists attended the conference.
- It is a platform to discuss issues related to the work of CAT, including structural and institutional issues, the functioning of administrative tribunals in other legal systems and methodology for the functioning of the tribunal among others.
PM Modi Inaugurates ‘Kashi Ek Roop Anek’ Event at Varanasi
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi visited his Lok Sabha Constituency Varanasi on 16 February 2020 to attend various events and inaugurate several programmes.
- Inaugurated a cultural arts and handicrafts exhibition named ‘Kashi Ek Roop Anek’ organized at the Deen Dayal Upadhyay Trade Facilitation Center, at Varanasi.
- Unveiled the 63 feet Statue of Deendayal Upadhyay (largest statue of the leader in the country) and dedicated to the nation the Deendayal Upadhyay Memorial in Varanasi.
- Flagged off the third corporate train ‘Kashi Mahakal Express’ which links 3 Jyotirling Pilgrim Centres – Varanasi, Ujjain and Omkareshwar.
- Inaugurated 36 developmental projects including a 430 Bed Super-Speciality Government Hospital and laid foundation stone for 14 developmental projects, worth over Rs 1254 crore.
- Attended the Centenary Celebration of Jagadguru Vishwaradhya Gurukul at Jangamwadi Mutt.
- Released the translated version of ‘Shri Siddhant Shikhamani Granth’ in 19 languages and also launched the ‘Shri Siddhant Shikhamani Granth’ Mobile App
World Defence Spending Rose by 4% in 2019, Highest in 10 Years: IISS Report
- The global Defense spending rose by 4% in 2019 compared to the previous year, as per a new report titled “Military Balance” published by the London-based think tank International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS).
- As per the international think tank, this global rise is the highest annual increase in 10 years.
- US and China both increased there spending by 6.6 percent to $684.6 billion and $181.1 billion respectively.
- In Europe, defence spending stepped up by 4.2 percent.
15th Finance Commission Constitute Panel on Defence and Internal Security Funding
- The Fifteenth Finance Commission has constituted a 5-member group on Defence and Internal Security.
- The panel will be headed by the Chairman of the commission, Shri N.K. Singh. Home Secretary, Defence Secretary, Finance Secretary and a member of Commission will be the other members of the group.
- The main work of the panel is to examine whether a separate mechanism needs to be set up for funding of defence and internal security and is so then how such a mechanism could be operationalised.
SEBI Constitutes Municipal Bonds Development Committee
- Markets regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has constituted a municipal bonds development committee
- The committee will be headed by the Executive Director of SEBI, Mr Sujit Prasad and comprise of representatives from municipal corporations, lawyers, professionals and market practitioners.
Role and Responsibility
- To advise SEBI on issues related to regulation and development of primary and secondary market of municipal debt securities.
- To advise SEBI on matters required to be taken up for changes in legal framework to introduce simplification and transparency in systems and procedures in the primary and secondary market.
- To advise SEBI on matters relating to regulation of intermediaries for ensuring investor protection in the primary and secondary market.
- To recommend SEBI on measures to facilitate issuers (i.e. municipalities) for issuance of municipal debt securities
Indian Hockey Captain Manpreet Singh Named Player of the Year 2019 by FIH
- The Indian Men’s Hockey team captain Manpreet Singh has been named as the Men’s Player of the Year for 2019 by the International Hockey Federation (FIH).
- With this, Manpreet has become the first Indian to win the accolade since the awards were introduced in 1999.
- Apart from this, the FIH Women’s Player of the Year 2019 has been awarded to Netherlands women’s captain Eva de Goede.
Complete List of FIH Award 2019
- 2019 FIH Women’s Player of the Year: Eva de Goede
- 2019 FIH Men’s Player of the Year: Manpreet Singh
- 2019 FIH Men’s Coach of the Year: Colin Batch (Australia)
- 2019 FIH Women’s Coach of the Year: Alyson Annan (Netherlands)
- 2019 FIH Women’s Goalkeeper of the Year: Rachael Lynch (Australia)
- 2019 FIH Men’s Goalkeeper of the Year: Vincent Vanasch (Belgium)
- 2019 FIH Men’s Rising Star of the Year: Vivek Prasad (India)
- 2019 FIH Women’s Rising Star of the Year: Lalremsiami (India)
India Settles for Bronze in 2020 Badminton Asia Team Championships
- The 2020 Badminton Asia Team Championships was held in Manila, Philippines from 11 to 16 February 2020.
- The tournament serves as the Asian qualifiers for the 2020 Thomas & Uber Cup in Denmark.
- Indonesia beat Malaysia in the finals to win the Men’s Team gold medal.
- The Indian Men’s team settled for bronze at the Championships after losing to two-time defending champions Indonesia 2-3 in semi-finals.
- This is the second time that India won bronze medal in the championship. Last time India won the bronze in 2016 at Hyderabad.
- Meanwhile, in Women’s Team, Japan beat South Korea to win gold medal.
Joshna Chinappa and Saurav Ghosal Wins 77th Senior National squash Championship
- India’s top seed squash ace Joshna Chinappa has clinched 77th Senior National Championship in woman’s category by defeating Tanvi Khanna, 8-11, 11-6, 11-4, 11-7.
- With this win, Chinappa claimed the 18th title of her career.
- Apart from this, Saurav Ghosal won in Men’s single category to bag his 13th career titles.
- Ghosal defeated second seed Abhishek Pradhan 11-6, 11-5, 11-6.
India clinches 3 medals in 2020 World SnowShoe Championship
- Three Indian athletes from Kashmir, have won medals in their respective categories at the 2020 World SnowShoe Championship held at Myoko, Japan from 15 to 16 February 2020.
- Participants from 17 countries of different continents participated in the championship.
- It is first time ever in the history of SnowShoe sport that Indian athletes bagged medals in the World Championship.
- Indian contingent included nine members, of which three athletes bagged one silver and two bronze medals. These came from:
- Silver Medal: Ayan Bin Shahnaz (Junior Category- 5 km run)
- Bronze Medal: Zain Ali (Junior Category- 5 km run)
- Bronze Medal: Muzamil Hussain Mir (20-29 age group category -9 km run)
World Pangolin Day 2020: 15 February
- World Pangolin Day is celebrated on the third Saturday of February every year.
- In 2020, the world is celebrating the 9th edition of the annual World Pangolin Day. It was celebrated on 15 February 2020
- The day aims to raise awareness about these unique mammals and speed up conservation efforts. Pangolin numbers are rapidly declining in Asia and Africa.