Daily Current Affairs 14 August 2019: We have collected the latest current affairs for 14 August 2019 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the daily current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 14 August 2019
Government Launches Rural Sanitation Survey ‘Swachh Survekshan Grameen 2019’
- The second edition of the rural sanitation survey, ‘Swachh Survekshan Grameen 2019’ was launched by Union Jal Shakti Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat on August 14, 2019.
- This year the survey will be three times bigger in scale than the previous edition, covering around 700 districts and over 17,000 villages across 34 states and union territories across the country.
- In the first edition in 2018, the survey covered over 6,000 villages.
- The focus of the survey this year will be solid waste and plastic waste management.
- The exercise will be held for 45 days at over 87,000 public places and will conclude on September 30
Piyush Goyal Inducts First Batch of Highly-trained CORAS Commandos in Railways
- Railway Minister Piyush Goyal inducted the first batch of the Commando for Railway Security (CORAS) at a function at New Delhi railway station on August 14, 2019 to ensure safety to the passengers and goods.
- These highly trained RPF’s crack commando team will have 1,200 officers.
- The CORAS commandos will be posted in Left extremist wing affected areas, northeastern region and Jammu and Kashmir and other naxalite areas where providing security to the passengers and the railway network is of utmost priority.
- Indian Railways has also decided to set up a new state-of-the-art commando training centre for the Railway Protection Force (RPF) in Jagadhri, Haryana which will have access to latest technology and equipment to modernize and train commandos of the RPF.
RPF Launches “Operation Number Plate” Across Indian Railways
- The Railway Protection Force (RPF) of Indian Railways, under the direction of DG/RPF, Arun Kumar, has launched a Special Drive under the Code Name Operation “Number Plate” all over Indian Railways.
- Under Operation “Number Plate” the force will identify and verify all vehicles parked in Railway premises, circulating area, parkings and even in the ‘No Parking’ areas for longer duration.
- The drive has been undertaken in view of forthcoming celebrations of Independence Day on 15 August 2019 to ensure security and safety of passengers and other stake holders of railways.
‘Panchamirtham’ of Palani Murugan Temple in Tamil Nadu Gets GI Tag
- The famous Panchamirtham, given as ‘prasadam’ at the Palani Arulmigu Dhandayuthapani Swamy Temple in Tamil Nadu has been granted the Geographical Indication (GI) tag.
- This is the first time a temple ‘prasadam’ (religious offering after worship) from Tamil Nadu has been bestowed with the GI tag.
- The geographical area for production of panchamirtham is Palani town in Dindigul district of the state.
- With this, Tamil Nadu now has total 29 products indigenous to the state.
Naveen Patnaik inaugurates Naval Tata Hockey Academy at Kalinga Stadium
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik inaugurated a high-performance hockey centre, Naval Tata Hockey Academy (NTHA) at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar to groom the sports talent in the state.
- The NTHA is a joint initiative of the Odisha government, Tata Steel and Tata Trusts.
- After the NTHA, Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, the NTHA Kalina Stadium centre is the second high-performance hockey academy supported by the Tatas.
India Contributes USD 1 million to UN Special Purpose Trust Fund
- India has contributed USD 1 million to the United Nations Special Purpose Trust Fund (SPTF) for the Resident Coordinator System.
- The Special Purpose Trust Fund (SPTF) is a specific fund housed within the UN Secretariat to receive, consolidate, manage all contributions and financial transactions of the new Resident Coordinator system in a transparent and effective way.
- The Resident Coordinator (RC) system is designed to bring together all organizations of the United Nations system to coordinate and improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operational activities at the country level.
P. T. Usha Inducted as Member of AAA’s Athletes Commission
- Former Indian athlete and Olympian P.T. Usha has been appointed as one of the six members of the Athletes Commission of the Asian Athletics Association (AAA).
- 55-year-old Usha, known as ‘Payyoli Express’, is becoming the member of the commission for the second time.
- The AAA Athletes Commission will be headed by 1992 Olympics gold medallist hammer thrower Andrey Abduvaliyev of Uzbekistan.
- The other members of the commission includes: Kazakhstan’s former Olympic champion triple jumper Olga Rypakova, China’s Wang Yu, Malaysia’s Lee Hup Wei and Saudi Arabia’s Saad Shaddad.
India beat England to Lift 2019 Physical Disability World Series
- India defeated England by 36 runs to win Physical Disability World Series 2019 in the final held at the New Road Stadium in Worcester, England.
- The tournament was organized by the England and Wales Cricket Board.
- England, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Bangladesh were the five countries which participated in the tournament.
Former Argentina Footballer Jose Luis Brown Passes Away at 62
- Former Argentina defender and 1986 FIFA World Cup winner Jose Luis Brown passed away, suffering from Alzheimer’s disease. He was 62.
- The defender was known by his nickname “Tata”.
- Brown scored the opening goal for Argentina against West Germany in the 1986 World Cup final. That was the only international goal of his career.
World Organ Donation Day: August 13
- The World Organ Donation Day is celebrated every year on August 13 to provide an opportunity to all to come ahead and pledge to donate their precious organs, because one organ donor can save up to eight lives.