Daily Current Affairs 12 October 2019: We have collected the latest current affairs for 12 October 2019 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the daily current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 12 October 2019
India Extends USD 61.6 million Line of Credit to Comoros for Energy and Maritime Defence Cooperation
- Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu was on an official State visit to Comoros from 10-12 October 2019 at the invitation of Government of Comoros represented by President Azali Assoumani.
- The Vice President was conferred ‘The Order of the Green Crescent’, the highest Civilian Honour of Comoros.
- India has announced to extend a Line of Credit of US $ 61.6 million for cooperation in the fields of energy and maritime defence. These includes:
- Line of Credit of USD 41.6 million for setting up of 18 MW Power Plant in Moroni
- Line of Credit for USD 20 million for procurement of High Speed Interceptor Boats
Life Insurance Council to launch awareness campaign
- Life Insurance Council, that is a forum of 24 life insurer companies will soon launch the insurance industry’s first joint mass media campaign will a slogan ‘Sabse Pehle Life Insurance’.
- The campaign is on similar lines of ‘Mutual Fund Sahi Hai’ campaign launched by Association of Mutual Funds Industry (AMFI) for raising awareness about Mutual FUnds product in 2017.
- The campaign represents all 24 Indian life insurance companies with the aim to create a common narrative aimed at increasing life insurance awareness in the country.
Indian Railways Launches Website and Mobile App Sahyatri to Enable Passengers Register Criminal Complaints Online
- Indian railways has launched a new website, www.railways.delhipolice.gov.in and a mobile app named SAHYATRI, which will facilitate the passengers and railway police to file and address complaints online across India, as well as in crime detection by integrating the criminal database online.
- Sahyatri app: Railway passengers can lodge criminal complaints without the need to visit the police station. The app will help them find out the jurisdiction of a police station and the details of GRP officials by geo-tagging with Google Maps. It will also have the facility to scan and read QR codes and make an emergency call.
- The website will have the country-wide data of criminals, including their photographs, active in railways’ jurisdiction all over India, among other important issues related to law and order which would be shared among GRP officials.
- The entire website can only be accessed by authorized Government Railway Police (GRP) officers. The GRP heads of 24 states and one Union Territory have been assigned as super admin and they have been provided with separate user IDs and passwords.
Second Indo-Japan Joint Military Exercise DHARMA GUARDIAN 2019 to be Held from 19 Oct to 02 Nov in Mizoram
- The Joint Military Exercise DHARMA GUARDIAN-2019 between India and Japan will begin at counter Insurgency and Jungle Warfare School, Vairengte, Mizoram from 19 October 2019 to 02 November 2019.
- It is the second edition of the annual training Exercise DHARMA GUARDIAN, being conducted in India since 2018.
- The Indian Army and Japanese Ground Self Defence Forces (JGSDF), comprising 25 soldiers each, will participate in the exercise for joint training on counter terrorism operations in jungle and urban scenario.
Second India-Bangladesh Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT) Held in North Bay of Bengal
- The Indian Navy (IN) and Bangladesh Navy (BN) conducted the second edition of the Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT) in Northern Bay of Bengal on 10 and 11 October 2019.
- INS Ranvijay, a guided-missile destroyer and INS Kuthar, an ingeniously built missile Corvette participated in the CORPAT from Indian side and BNS Ali Haider, a Type 053 frigate and BNS Shadinota, a Type 056 stealth guided missile corvette from Bangladesh side.
- The two-day CORPAT is followed by the maiden edition of IN-BN Bilateral Exercise at Visakhapatnam from 12 to 16 October 2019.
Environmentalist Chandi Prasad Bhatt Felicitated With Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration 2017-18
- Noted environmentalist and social activist Chandi Prasad Bhatt has been awarded the Indira Gandhi award for national integration for the year 2017-2018, for his services in promoting and preserving national integration in the country.
- Uttarakhand based 85 year old Bhatt will be presented the 31st Indira Gandhi Award for National Integration on October 31 in New Delhi. It consists of a citation and Rs 10 lakh in cash.
- The award was instituted by the Indian National Congress in memory of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi and is presented on Oct 31, the day she was killed.
- Bhatt is the founder of the Dasholi Gram Swarajya Sangh (DGSS) in Gopeshwar in 1964, which now is the mother organisation to the Chipko Movement, in which he was one of the pioneers.
Mary Kom Settles for Bronze at World Women’s Boxing Championships in Russia
- Six-time world champion, M C Mary Kom settled for a bronze medal in 51-kg category bout in the World Women’s Boxing Championships held at Ulan Ude in Russia.
- The third-seeded Mary Kom lost 1-4 to second seed Busenaz Cakiroglu of Turkey in the semifinal.
- This bronze medal is the first world medal for Mary Kom in the 51-kg category.
World Migratory Bird Day: 12 October 2019
- The World Migratory Bird Day (WMBD) is celebrated twice in a year, firstly on Second Saturday of May and again on Second Saturday of October, so as to follow the seasonal migrations of birds, which peak in those months.
- In 2019, the WMBBD is being held on May 11, 2019 and October 12, 2019 to spread awareness for the need to conserve migratory birds and their habitats
- The theme for 2019 WMBD is “Protect Birds: Be the Solution to Plastic Pollution.”
World Arthritis Day: 12 October
- World Arthritis Day (WAD) is held annually on October 12 to raise global awareness about the symptoms connected to arthritis and the importance of early diagnosis of the disease to gain access to the proper medical treatment as soon as possible.
- WAD was established in 1996 by Arthritis and Rheumatism International (ARI).
- The World Arthritis Day theme 2019 is Time2Work.
- Arthritis means inflammation of the joints which leads to pain and stiffness in the joints.
Alexei Leonov, First Man To Ever Walk In Space, passes away
- Alexei Leonov, a Soviet/Russian cosmonaut passed away at the age of 85 years.
- He was the first person to conduct a spacewalk, exiting the capsule during the Voskhod 2 mission.
- Leonov performed his spacewalk on March 18, 1965 for 12 minutes and 9 seconds.