Daily Current Affairs 12 August 2019: We have collected the latest current affairs for 12 August 2019 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, Ibps, Sbi exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the daily current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 12 August 2019
Gogabeel lake in Bihar declared state’s first ‘Community Reserve’
- Gogabeel, an ox-bow lake in Bihar, has been declared as the state’s first ‘Community Reserve’. It is located in the Katihar district of Bihar.
- Gogabeel is formed from the flow of the rivers Mahananda and Kankhar in the north and the Ganga in the south and east. It is the fifteenth Protected Area (PA) in Bihar.
- The water body was notified as a 57 hectare Community Reserve and a 30-hectare ‘Conservation Reserve’.
World’s First Self-standing Crutch ‘Flexmotiv’ Launched by IIT Delhi
- The alumni from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi have rolled out world’s first automotive crutches dubbed as Flexmotiv, which have the capacity to stand on their own.
- The product has been developed by a startup called Flexmotiv, started by IIT Delhi students Arvind S.A, Adepu Srinivas and Girish Yadav, with assistance from AIIMS Delhi.
- Flexmotiv is a self-standing axillary crutch which has been designed in the shape of a leg and the end part of the crutch has the shape of toe and heel, making it suitable for use in any terrain, even as support while trekking.
- The product is likely to be available in the market by the end of August 2019.
Human Chain in Chhattisgarh Unfurls 15-km-Long Tricolour to Enter Champions Book of World Records
- Thousands of people including students and members of 35 social organisations across Chhattisgarh formed a human chain to unfurl a 15-km long national flag in the state capital Raipur on August 11, 2019.
- The event was organised by Vasudhaiv Kutumbakam Foundation from Amapara Chowk to Pt Ravishankar Shukla University.
- With this, the event entered the Champions Book of World Records for the longest tricolour.
Chandrima Shaha Elected First Female President of Indian National Science Academy
- Former director of the National Institute of Immunology, Chandrima Shaha has been named as the first woman president of Indian National Science Academy (INSA)
- The 66-year-old Shaha will head INSA from 2020
- Shaha is currently Professor of Eminence at the National Institute of Immunology, an institute under the Department of Biotechnology.
- INSA established in January 1935 in New Delhi is the apex body of Indian scientists representing all branches of science and technology to promote science in India and harness scientific knowledge for the cause of humanity and national welfare.
Alejandro Giammattei Elected President of Guatemala
- Alejandro Eduardo Giammattei Falla has been elected as the new President of Guatemala.
- The 63-year-old Conservative defeated former first lady Sandra Torres winning almost 58.5 percent vote with a lead of about 550,000 votes.
- Giammattei will take the office on 14 January 2020 from incumbent President Jimmy Morales.
Bajrang Punia Wins Gold at 2019 Tbilisi Grand Prix
- In wrestling, India’s Bajrang Punia defeated Peiman Bibyani of Iran 2-0 in the 65kg final of the men’s free style competition in 2019 Tbilisi Grand Prix in Georgia.
- It is the fourth gold of the season for Bajrang, who also won golds earlier this year at Dan Kolov Tournament (Bulgaria), Asian Wrestling Championship (China) and Ali Aliev tournament (Russia).
Vinesh Phogat Settles for Silver at Belarus Medved Event
- Top Indian woman wrestler Vinesh Phogat lost to Russia’s N Malisheva in the 53kg final to win silver medal at the Medved event held in Minsk, Belarus.
- The 24-year-old Vinesh was contesting her fourth consecutive final event of the season winning all the earlier three events.
- Before this, Vinesh won gold at 2019 Poland Open wrestling tournament, Grand Prix of Spain and Yasar Dogu International at Istanbul, Turkey.
Lionel Messi Beat Ronaldo to Clinch UEFA Goal of the Season Award 2018-19
- Argentine professional footballer Lionel Messi defeated Portuguese champion Cristiano Ronaldo to win UEFA’s Goal of the Season award for 2018-19.
- Ronaldo came second while Porto midfielder Danilo Pereira took third place.
Rafael Nadal, Bianca Andreescu wins Rogers Open (Canadian Open)
- Rafael Nadal (of Spain) has won the Men’s single title and Bianca Andreescu (of Canada) has won the Women’s Single title at the Canadian Open (Tennis) 2019. Canadian Open is also known as Rogers Cup. The list of complete winners are:
- Men’s Single – Rafael Nadal defeated Daniil Medvedev
- Women’s Single– Bianca Andreescu defeated Serena Williams
- Men’s doubles– Marcel Granollers and Horacio Zeballos defeated Robin Haase and Wesley Koolhof
- Women’s doubles– Barbora Krejčíková and Kateřina Siniaková defeated Anna-Lena Grönefeld and Demi Schuurs
Chennai Lions Beat Dabang Delhi to Lift Ultimate Table Tennis league 2019
- Chennai Lions Beat Dabang Delhi 8-1 to claim the 2019 Ultimate Table Tennis league title held at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi.
- The Ultimate Table Tennis (UTT) is a professional level table tennis league in India launched in 2017.
- Women’s Singles: Petrissa Solja bt Bernadette Szocs
- Men’s Singles: Tiago Apolonia bt Sathiyan G.
- Mixed Doubles: Sharath Kamal / Petrissa Solja bt Sathiyan G. / Bernadette Szocs
World Elephant Day: August 12
- World Elephant Day is observed internationally every year on August 12 for the preservation and protection of the elephants worldwide.
International Youth Day: 12 August
- The International Youth Day (IYD) is observed on August 12 annually to draw attention of governments and others towards youth issues worldwide.
- The day was designated by the United Nations in 1999.
- 2019 Theme of IYD: “Transforming education”.