Daily Current Affairs 08 August 2019: We have collected the latest current affairs for 08 August 2019 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, Ibps, Sbi exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the daily current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 08 August 2019
India ranked 13 in National Water Stress Ranking; Top- Qatar
- World Resource Institute (WRI) has released the Aqueduct Water Risk Atlas. WRI has ranked 134 countries in terms of overall water stress in its National Water Stress Ranking. India is ranked 13th while Qatar is highly water stress country and is on top of the list.
- WRI has also mentioned that 17 countries are home to one-quarter of the world’s population and face “extremely high” levels of baseline water stress. This includes India.
Papua New Guinea has the highest number of ‘living’ indigenous languages in the world; India- 4th
- The Pacific island nation of Papua New Guinea has the highest number of ‘living’ indigenous languages in the world (840). India stands fourth with 453 languages.
- 2019 is the United Nations’ International Year of Indigenous Languages.
46 countries including India signs UN Convention on Mediation
- 46 U.N. members, including India have signed the Singapore Convention on Mediation that aims to settle cross-border commercial disputes and stabilise trade relationships.
- The title of the Convention is “U.N. Convention on International Settlement Agreements Resulting from Mediation”.
- The aim is to have a global framework that will give businesses greater confidence to settle international disputes through mediation rather than taking them to court, which can be obstructively time-consuming and expensive.
ADB to provide USD 200 mn for rural road project in Maharashtra
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a USD 200 million loan for improving road infrastructure in Maharashtra. This will cover 34 districts in Maharashtra with an aim to better connect rural areas with markets and services.
- The total cost of the project is $296 million. Out of this Maharashtra Government will provide the remaining $ 96 million.
- Apart from this, ADB has provided a technical assistance grant of USD 1 million to support the Maharashtra Rural Road Development Association (MRRDA) to improve its management performance in areas such as road safety, road asset management, contract management, and climate-resilient design.
Mastercard rolls out Identity Check Express for safe digital payment
- Mastercard has launched a new solution – Identity Check Express – to create a completely friction-free digital payment experience for online shopping.
- This mobile-first authentication solution will remove the need for an OTP to authenticate consumers putting through mobile transactions. This was demonstrated at Global Mastercard Cybersecurity Summit that was held in India for the first time.
- With Identity Check Express, Mastercard will offer a frictionless payment experience to Mastercard cardholders at leading merchants for amounts less than ₹2,000 on their trusted mobile device by sharing a one-time merchant specific consent. For transactions greater than ₹2,000, cardholders will be able to authenticate themselves with a transaction PIN of their choice.
CAIT partners with HDFC bank to launch “Digi Vyapari-Safal Vyapari” initiative
- The Confederation of All India Traders (CAIT) has launched an initiative named “Digi Vyapari-Safal Vyapari” with an aim to accelerate the acceptance of digital payments method among merchants across the country.
- CAIT is an apex body of the trading community of India. For this initiative, CAIT has partnered with HDFC Bank, Mastercard, Common Service Centres (CSCs) of Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (Meity) and Global Linkers.
South African cricketer Hashim Amla announces retirement from cricket
- South African batsman Hashim Amla has announced his retirement from all forms of international cricket.
- Amla played international cricket for almost 15 years. He went on to make 18,000 runs including 55 centuries and 88 fifty-plus scores across all formats of the game.
India Celebrates 77th Anniversary of Quit India Movement
- India observed the 77th anniversary of the Quit India Movement (August Movement/ Bharat Chhodo Andolan) on August 7, 2019.
- The Movement was launched by Mahatma Gandhi at the Bombay session of the All-India Congress Committee on 8 August 1942, during World War II, demanding an end to British Rule of India.
- In his speech entitled, “Do or Die,”, Gandhi urged the masses to act as an independent nation and not to follow the orders of the British, after the failure of the Cripps Mission.
Veteran director J Om Prakash passes away
- Veteran film director J. Om Prakash passed away at the age of 93 years. He was the grandfather of actor Hrithik Roshan.
- Prakash’s last film as director was 2001’s “Afsana Dilwalon Ka”. His other movies include- Aap Ki Kasam” (1974), Apnapan” (1977), “Aasha” (1980), “Apna Bana Lo” (1982), “Arpan” (1983), “Aakhir Kyon?” (1985) and “Aadmi Khilona Hai” (1993).