Daily Current Affairs 06 June 2019: We have collected the latest current affairs for 06 June 2019 that are important for all competitive exams like bank, ssc, ibps, sbi exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 06 June 2019
Prime Minister Forms Two High Level Ministerial Panel to Boost Growth and Employment
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has set up two Cabinet committees on June 5, 2019 in a move to spur investment and create new employment opportunities.
- Both the two committees namely “Investment and Growth” and “Employment and Skill Development” will be headed by PM Modi.
- Cabinet Committee on Investment and Growth is a 5 member committee with Union Home Minister Amit Shah, Finance Minister Nirmala Sithataman, Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari and Railways and Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal as its members.
- Cabinet Committee on Employment and Skill Development is a 10 member panel with Shah, Sithataman and Goyal, Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar, HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’, Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, Minister of Skill Development M N Pandey, Labour Minister Santosh Kumar Gangwar and Housing and Urban Development Minister Hardip Puri as its members.
Important Announcements in Second Bi-Monthly Monetary Policy, 2019-20
- Leverage Ratio for Banks– The minimum Leverage Ratio(LR) should be 4% for Domestic Systemically Important Banks (DSIBs) and 3.5% for other banks. (Basel III norms)
- Review of Charges for RBI-operated Payment Systems- In order to provide an impetus to digital funds movement, it has been decided to do away with the charges levied by the Reserve Bank for transactions processed in the RTGS and NEFT systems. Complete instructions will be issued soon.
- Constitution of a Committee to Review the ATM Interchange Fee Structure– RBI will soon set up a Committee involving all stakeholders, under the chairmanship of the Chief Executive Officer, Indian Banks’ Association (IBA), to examine the entire gamut of ATM charges and fees. V. G. Kannan is the CEO of IBA.
RBI Cuts Repo Rate by 25 bps to 5.75%
- The monetary policy committee (MPC), headed by RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das, has on June 6, 2019, decided to reduce key repo rate by 25 basis points to 5.75 percent from 6.0 percent with immediate effect.
- This is the third time in a row that the central bank has cut key rates this calendar year.
- Repo rate – 5.75 percent
- Reverse repo rate – 5.50 percent
- Marginal standing facility (MSF) rate – 6.0 percent
- Bank Rate – 6.0 percent
- The MPC has also changed the stance of monetary policy from neutral to accommodative.
- GDP growth for 2019-20 is revised downwards to 7.0 percent
IRDAI Hikes Third Party Insurance Premium for Small-Medium Cars
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has increased the third party (TP) motor insurance premium for small and medium private cars in the range of 12-12.5 percent for 2019-20.
- The TP motor insurance premium for two-wheelers and heavy vehicles has also been hiked.
- The new rates will come into effect from June 16, 2019.
India Successfully Test Fires BrahMos Supersonic Cruise Missile
- The Defence Research and Development Organistaion (DRDO) successfully test fired the anti ship version of BrahMos missile from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur in Odisha on July 4, 2019.
- It is described as the world’s fastest supersonic cruise missile having high rate of precision and strike range of around 290 km.
- BrahMos is a joint venture between the DRDO and the NPOM of Russia Federation and can be fired from land, sea and air.
India-France to Hold Mega Air Exercise “Garuda VI” in July
- The Air Forces of India and France will carry out a two-week-long mega air exercise “Garuda VI” beginning July 1, 2019 at an air base in France to further boost to military-to-military ties between the two countries.
- From Indian side, a fleet of Sukhoi 30 fighter jets will engage in dogfights with France’s Rafale multirole aircraft in simulated scenarios as part of the exercise.
Wipro founder Azim Premji to retire next month, son Rishad to take over
- Azim Premji, the founder of Wipro Limited, will retire as Executive Chairman upon the completion of his current term on July 30, 2019.
- The son of Azim Premji, Rishad Premji, presently the Chief Strategy Officer and Member of the Board, will take over as the Executive Chairman.
- Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director Abidali Z. Neemuchwala will be re-designated as Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director. These changes will be effective July 31.
- Azim Premji, however, will continue to serve on the board as Non-Executive Director and Founder Chairman.
Tata Steel subsidiary launches Tree Bank in Jamshedpur
- Jamshedpur Utility and Services Company (Jusco), a 100% subsidiary of Tata Steel has set up a Tree Bank in Jamshedpur on the occasion of World Environment Day on June 05, 2019.
- A treebank was inaugurated and around 3,000 saplings were planted at different locations of the Jamshedpur steel city. The bank has 10,000 saplings of 13 species, including neem, mango, and palm
Razorpay launches digital payment support for 100 currencies
- Razorpay, a converged payments solution company, has announced that it now supports 100 currencies for international digital payments.
- It includes all major currencies such as U.S. Dollar (USD), European Dollar (EUR), British Pound (GBP), Arab Emirates Dirham (AED) and Singapore Dollar (SGD).
- The company aims to open new growth avenues for the MSME segment, by enabling them to accept payments from other countries.
Author Tayari Jones wins Women’s Prize for Fiction
- American author Tayari Jones has won the Women’s Prize for Fiction for her book, “An American Marriage”.
- The Women’s Prize for Fiction is one of the United Kingdom’s most prestigious literary prizes. It is awarded annually to a female author of any nationality for the best original full-length novel written in English
Russia Launches First Arctic Train Service ‘Zarengold’
- The Russian tour group has launched the country’s first tourist train service through Russia’s Arctic region to Norway.
- The train, dubbed as Zarengold, started its test journey with 91 passengers aboard on June 5 from St. Petersburg.
- The whole trip will take 11 days and passengers will be able to discover arctic region areas difficult to access by other means.
Nigeria’s Ambassador to the UN Tijjani Muhammad-Bande Elected 74th UNGA President
- The Nigerian Ambassador to the United Nations, Tijjani Muhammad-Bande, has been elected as the president of the 74th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).
- The 61-year-old succeeds Ecuardorian María Fernanda Espinosa Garcés whose year long tenure ended on June 5, 2019.
- The 74th session of the 193-member UN General Assembly (UNGA 74) will begin on 17 September 2019.
Sunil Chhetri Becomes India’s Most Capped International Football Player
- Indian professional football skipper and striker Sunil Chhetri has become India’s most capped international player with 108 matches.
- He has broken the record earlier held by legendary footballer Bhaichung Bhutia with 107 matches.
- Chhetri achieved the feat during King’s Cup football tournament against Curacao in Buriram, Thailand on June 5, 2019.
Former UEFA President, Lennart Johansson, Passes Away
- Lennart Johansson, the former President of UEFA and acclaimed as father of the Champions League, has passed away. He was 89.
- He was the head of UEFA, European football’s governing body, from 1990 to 2007 and also the longest serving president till date.
Uttarakhand Finance Minister Prakash Pant Passes Away
- The finance minister of Uttarakhand, Prakash Pant, passed away in the United States. He was 58.
- Pant was undergoing a treatment for lung ailment in the US.