Daily Current Affairs 05 February 2020: We have collected the latest current affairs for 05 February 2020 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the daily current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 05 February 2020
President Kovind inaugurates Annual Rashtrapati Bhavan Udyanotsav 2020
- President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the annual ‘Udyanotsav’ at the Mughal Gardens of Rashtrapati Bhavan on 4th February 2020.
- The 15-acre Mughal Gardens at Rashtrapati Bhavan will be opened for the general public from February 5 to March 8, 2020 between 10 am to 4 pm.
- The gardens will be closed for visitors on Mondays, on account of maintenance.
PM Modi Inaugurates 11th edition of Biennial ‘DefExpo’ in Lucknow
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the 11th edition of the ‘DefExpo’, India’s biennial military exhibition, in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh on February 5, 2020. It will culminate on February 8.
- The four-day mega exhibition seeks to showcase the potential of the country to become a global defence manufacturing hub.
- The Theme of the Expo is ‘India: The Emerging Defence Manufacturing Hub’ with main focus on ‘Digital Transformation of Defence’
- Delegates from 70 countries and 172 foreign military manufacturers and as many as 856 Indian defence firms will attend the exhibition to showcase their products on new technologies and solutions on a single platform.
- The exhibition will open path for Uttar Pradesh to become one of the biggest defence manufacturing hub in the coming future.
- As a part of the event, the fifth India-Russia Military Industry Conference will also be held with over 100 Russian and over 200 Indian industry leaders participating.
4th EAS Conference on Maritime Security Cooperation to be held in Chennai on 6-7 February 2020
- India is set to host the 4th East Asia Summit (EAS) Conference on Maritime Security Cooperation in Chennai from February 6-7, 2020.
- The conference will be organised by the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), in partnership with the governments of Australia and Indonesia.
- The National Maritime Foundation (NMF) and the Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS) are the knowledge partners of the Conference.
- The Conference serves as a platform for free and open dialogue among all the EAS partners on various issues of maritime security cooperation, and to come up with useful suggestions on tackling challenges in the maritime domain in a cooperative manner.
- The earlier three editions of the EAS Maritime Security Conferences organised by the Indian government were held at New Delhi in November 2015, Goa in November 2016 and Bhubaneswar in June 2018.
India’s biggest rural technical festival ‘Antahpragnya 2020’ held in Hyderabad
- India’s Biggest Rural Technical Festival titled ‘Antahpragnya 2020’ was held at the Rajiv Gandhi University of Knowledge Technologies-Basar (RGUKT-Basar), Hyderabad, Telangana, from January 31 to February 2, 2020.
- The theme of the National Level technical fest was ‘Spot and encourage rural tech innovators’
- Thousands of students belonging to reputed colleges across the length and breadth of India participated in the three-day Technical Festival, that seeks to spot and encourage rural tech innovators.
22nd India International Seafood Show (IISS) 2020 to be held in Kochi
- The Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA), under Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India, in association with the Seafood Exporters Association of India (SEAI), is organizing the 22nd edition of India International Seafood Show (IISS) 2020 in Kochi from 7-9 February 2020.
- The theme of this year’s seafood show is “Blue Revolution- Beyond Production to Value Addition”
- The biennial event provides a platform for Indian exporters and overseas importers of Indian marine products to interact and finalize future business dealings, thus paving way for Foreign Direct Investment in India.
- Over 200 exhibitors, 350 stalls and more than 5000 delegates, including foreign delegates, are expected to attend the three-day event at Kochi.
FADA to organise 11th Auto Summit in New Delhi on 7 Feb
- The Federation of Automobile Dealers Association (FADA), is organizing the 11th Edition of Auto Summit 2020, in New Delhi on 7th February 2020.
- FADA Auto Summit is a biennial flagship convention for Indian automobile dealers that provide a common platform to deliberate on changing dynamics of auto retail and service industry besides identifying the challenges and opportunities.
- The theme of 2020 Auto Summit is ‘Thriving Amidst Disruption.’
- Minister of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship M N Pandey will be the Chief Guest.
- Former cricketer Kapil Dev will be the Guest of Honour.
- Ernst & Young will be the knowledge partner for awards to be given this year.
- More than 1,500 auto experts, policymakers, representatives of original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and industry experts will participate in the event.
Kumbhabhishekam of Brihadeeswarar temple in Tamil Nadu Held on 5 February
- In Tamil Nadu, the rare Kumbhabhishekam of the heritage Brihadeeswara Temple in Thanjavur was held on 5th February 2020.
- The kumbhabhishekam, which relates to the rejuvenation of the temple, was last performed in 1997 at the 1,000-year old Brihadeeswara temple.
Karnataka launches Janasevaka scheme for home delivery of govt services
- The Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa has launched the doorstep delivery scheme named ‘Janasevaka’ on 4th February 2020, to ensure home delivery of various government services like ration cards, senior citizen identity and health cards.
- The Janasevaka scheme will cover 53 services involving 11 departments.
- Janasevaka scheme is launched under the Sakala scheme of the state government, which aims to ensure in-time delivery of government services to citizens.
- The project was launched on a pilot basis in T Dasarahalli Assembly constituency in February 2019 and now it has been further launched in Bommanahalli, Rajajinagar and Mahadevapura constituencies in Phase I.
- The government plans to extend it to 27 Assembly segments in Bengaluru city in later stage.
- After successful implementation, the service will be extended to Mysuru, Mangaluru and Hubballi-Dharwad.
DICGC increases the insurance coverage for depositors in all insured banks to Rs 5 lakh
- The Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC), a wholly owned subsidiary of the Reserve Bank of India, has raised the limit of insurance cover for bank deposits in insured banks from the present level of Rs 1 lakh to Rs 5 lakh per depositor, to provide a greater measure of protection to depositors in banks.
- The enhanced limit is in effect from February 4, 2020.
Deposits Covered under DICGC
- Deposits with all commercial banks and cooperative banks are insured under the Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC).
- Only Primary Cooperative Societies are not covered under DICGC.
- DICGC covers all deposits such as savings, fixed, current, recurring and so on except for the following deposits:
- Deposits of foreign governments;
- Deposits of Central/State Governments;
- Inter-bank deposits;
- Deposits of the State Land Development Banks with the State co-operative bank;
- Any amount due on account of and deposit received outside India
- Any amount, which has been specifically exempted by the corporation with the approval of Reserve Bank of India
Moody’s Projects India’s growth at 4.9% in FY20, 5.5% in FY21
- Moody’s Investors Service has projected India’s GDP growth during the current fiscal ending 31 March 2020 at 4.9 percent (unchanged).
- For the fiscal 2020-21, GDP growth is estimated at 5.5 percent compared to December 2019 estimate of 6.3 percent.
- And for 2021-22 fiscal, GDP growth is estimated at 6 percent from 6.7 percent projected earlier.
- 2019-20 – 4.9%
- 2020-21 – 5.5%
- 2021-22 – 6%
Noted Book Editor Alice Mayhew Passes Away at 87
- Celebrated and influential American editor, Alice Mayhew, passed away at the age of 87.
- She worked for the publishing company Simon & Schuster since 1971 and has edited political and historical works of authors ranging from Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein to Taylor Branch and Doris Kearns Goodwin.
Kenya’s Longest Serving President Daniel Arap Moi Passes Away at 95
- Former Kenyan President Daniel Arap Moi, who ruled the country for 24 years, has passed away. He was 95.
- Mr Moi was Kenya’s longest-serving president.
- He became country’s second president after independence and ruled from 1978 to 2002.