Daily Current Affairs 04 February 2020: We have collected the latest current affairs for 04 February 2020 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the daily current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 04 February 2020
14-Day India-Bangladesh Joint Exercise ‘SAMPRITI-IX’ Begins in Umroi, Meghalaya
- The 9th edition of the annual joint military training exercise by Indian and Bangladesh armies named ‘SAMPRITI-IX’ was flagged off on 3rd February 2020 in Umroi in Meghalaya.
- The 14-day log exercise is an important bilateral defence cooperation endeavour between India and Bangladesh, hosted alternately by the two countries, enabling both armies to familiarise each other in various tactical drills and procedures.
RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das Named Central Banker of the Year 2020: The Banker
- The Governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI), Shaktikanta Das, has been named as the ‘Central Banker of the Year 2020 for the Asia-Pacific region’ by ‘The Banker’ magazine, owned by London-based Financial Times (FT).
- The Banker‘s Central Banker of the Year 2020 awards celebrate the officials that have best managed to stimulate growth and stabilise their economy.
- Das has been credited for bringing in measures to tighten the rules around shadow banking as well as several major steps to bring banking in India up to the standard through a restrained approach to governance.
21st IIFA Awards to be held in Indore in March 2020
- The 21st edition of the International Indian Film Academy Awards (IIFA Awards) 2020 will be held in Indore, Madhya Pradesh from March 27-29, 2020.
- This will be the second consecutive year that the event is being organised in India. Last year it was held in Mumbai.
- Till 2019, the events were organised in cities outside the country.
- The IIFA awards are presented annually since 2000 for Excellence in cinematic achievements for Bollywood.
List of Winners of 2020 BAFTA Awards
- The 73rd edition of the annual British Academy Film Awards, also known as BAFTA, was held on 2 February 2020 in London,
- The award is presented by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts, to honor the best national and foreign films of 2019 of any nationality that were screened at British cinemas in 2019.
- The Film ‘1917’ received the highest number of awards at 7 with nominations in 9 categories.
List of Winners of BAFTA 2020
- Best Film – 1917
- Best Director – Sam Mendes for 1917
- Best Actor in a Leading Role – Joaquin Phoenix (Joker as Arthur Fleck / Joker)
- Best Actress in a Leading Role – Renee Zellweger (Judy as Judy Garland)
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role – Brad Pitt (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as Cliff Booth)
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role – Laura Dern (Marriage Story as Nora Fanshaw)
- Best Original Screenplay – Bong Joon-ho and Han Jin-won for Parasite
- Best Adapted Screenplay – Taika Waititi for Jojo Rabbit
- Outstanding British Film – 1917
- EE Rising Star Award – Micheal Ward
- BAFTA Fellowship – Kathleen Kennedy
- Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema – Andy Serkis
Government Appoints Ajay Bisaria as India’s Next High Commissioner to Canada
- Ajay Bisaria, a 1987 batch IFS officer, has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to Canada.
- Currently, he is India’s High Commissioner to Pakistan.
- Bisaria will succeed Vikas Swarup, who has been appointed as the Secretary (West) at the Ministry of External Affairs.
Madan Lal, Rudra Pratap Singh and Sulakshana Naik Inducted as Member of BCCI’s Cricket Advisory Committee
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has appointed new members of its 3-member Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) on 31st January 2020.
- The new members of the CAC includes former India cricketers Rudra Pratap Singh, Madan Lal and Sulkashana Naik.
- All the three have been appointed for a term of one year.
- The newly-formed CAC will succeed the trio of Kapil Dev, Anshuman Gaekwad, and Shanta Rangaswamy.
Albin Kurti Appointed New Prime Minister of Kosovo
- Kosovo’s parliament has approved Albin Kurti as the new prime minister of the country on 3rd February 2020.
- Albin Kurti, leader of the political party Vetëvendosje, will serve as the fourth Prime Minister of Kosovo.
Maldives Re-joins Commonwealth as its 54th Member
- The small island nation Maldives officially re-joined the Commonwealth on February 1 2020 and is the 54th member of the UK-based group of nations.
- Maldives joined the Commonwealth in 1982, and withdrew its membership in 2016 upon the decision of the then President Abdulla Yameen over the charges of corruption and deteriorating human rights in the country.
- Maldives will now be part of the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in Kigali, Rwanda scheduled to be held on June 22-28 2020.
World Cancer Day: February 4
- World Cancer Day is organized every year on 4 February by the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) to raise awareness and education about cancer, and pressing governments and individuals across the world to take action against the disease.
- World Cancer Day 2019-21 theme: ‘I Am And I Will’
Former Karnataka Minister D Manjunath Passes Away
- Former Karnataka Minister D Manjunath passed away at the age of 93 after prolonged illness.
- Manjunath joined the Janata Party in 1977 and had served in different capacities including as Chairperson of Legislative Council and Minister in various governments.