Daily Current Affairs 04 August 2019: We have collected the latest current affairs for 04 August 2019 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, Ibps, Sbi exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the daily current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 04 August 2019
India Successfully Test Fires Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missile (QR-SAM) From Chandipur in Odisha
- India conducted the successful test-firing of Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missile (QR-SAM) from launch complex III of the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur in Odisha on August 4, 2019.
- The sophisticated all-weather and all-terrain missile has jointly been developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Bharat Electronics Ltd for the Indian Army
- The QR-SAM weapon system is a truck mounted, quick reaction, network-centric missile system capable of search-on-the-move.
EAM S. Jaishankar Co-Chairs 10th Mekong Ganga Cooperation Ministerial Meet in Bangkok
- The External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar was on two-day visit to Thailand from August 1-2, 2019 to attend key ministerial meetings of the regional forums of ASEAN, Mekong Ganga Cooperation (MGC) and East Asia Summit.
- The Minister attended the ASEAN-India Ministerial Meeting and 10th Mekong Ganga Cooperation Ministerial Meeting on August 1, 2019.
- Jaishankar co-chaired the 10th Mekong Ganga Cooperation (MGC) Ministerial Meeting with his Vietnamese counterpart Pham Binh Minh.
- The Ministers agreed to hold the 11th MGC Ministerial Meeting on the margins of ASEAN Foreign Ministers’ Meeting in 2020 in Vietnam.
- The MGC comprises five Mekong river basin countries who are members of ASEAN (Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam) besides India.
- On August 2, 2019, the 9th East Asia Summit Foreign Ministers’ Meeting and the 26th ASEAN Regional Forum was held.
Kolkata to get India’s first underwater Metro
- Kolkata Metro has constructed the first-ever transport tunnel in the country which will pass through underwater. The East-West Metro corridor will pass through under Hooghly river and it will become the first such river crossing in the country.
- Two tunnels are being constructed on the up and down line, which is about 1.4 kilometres long. The width of the Hooghly river here is about 520 meters and this tunnel passes through the bottom of the river bottom.
- Kolkata metro is spending Rs 8,572 crore on this entire project.
Bill Gates Regains Second-richest Place; Mukesh Ambani 18th Richest: Bloomberg Billionaires Index
- According to the latest Bloomberg Billionaires Index, Microsoft Inc’s Founder Chairman Bill Gates has regained the second-richest spot in the world rich list.
- Earlier in July 2019, Europe’s richest person Bernard Arnault, Chairman and CEO of LVMH Moët Hennessy — Louis Vuitton SE, replaced Bill Gates in the Bloomberg’s Billionaires Index to become the second-richest person in the world.
- Bill Gates’ net worth was estimated at $106 billion, whereas the net worth of Bernard Arnault dropped to $97.8 billion as of August 04, 2019.
- Jeff Bezos, on the other hand, remains the world’s richest person in the list with net worth of USD 114 billion.
- Meanwhile, Asia’s richest person Mukesh Ambani has slipped to 18th place in the index with total net worth of $47.2 billion, which is 7 percent less compared to last month.
Siddhartha Mohanty takes charge as MD-CEO of LIC Housing Finance
- Siddhartha Mohanty has assumed charge as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of LIC Housing Finance (LIC HFL).
- Before this, he was the COO of LIC HFL. He has replaced Shri Vinay Shah as the MD CEO of LIC HFL.
Lewis Hamilton Wins Hungarian Grand Prix 2019
- Mercedes driver, Lewis Hamilton has won the Formula 1, Hungarian Grand Prix 2019.
- This is the 8th win for him in this season. Also, this was his seventh win in the Hungarian Grand Prix.
- Max Verstappen was second followed by Sebastian Vettel at third.
Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty Win Men’s Doubles Title at Thailand Open (Badminton)
- In Badminton, the Indian pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty claimed the men’s doubles title of Thailand Open in Bangkok by defeating Chinese pair of Li Jun Hui and Liu Yu Chen.
- It is for the first time that India won the men’s doubles title of the BWF Super 500 tournament.
Cricket commentator Anant Setalvad passes away
- Legendary cricket commentator Anant Setalvadpassed away at the age of 84 years.
- Anant was a commentator with AIR for Ranji Trophy and other BCCI tournaments and also for Test matches. He was on the AIR panel for the 1969 India-Australia Test match in Mumbai and also in the panel for the 1973 Test against the Tony Lewis-led England at the CCI.
Veteran Gujarati Author and Journalist Kanti Bhatt Passes Away
The renowned Gujarati journalist, author and columnist, Kanti Bhattpassed away in Mumbai. He was 88.