Current Affairs Update 21 July 2018
Current Affairs is an important part for many exams. Be prepared for this section with ByScoop which brings all the important Current Affairs in one place. 21 July 2018.
- The 4th BIMSTEC Summit will be held in Kathmandu, Nepal from August 30 – 31, 2018.
- The main focus of the summit will be to increase connectivity between the BIMSTEC nations including roads, airways and transmission lines.
- The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) formed in 1997 is a regional economic bloc comprising of seven member nations of South Asia and Southeast Asia namely Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Bhutan, and Nepal. Nepal is the current chair of BIMSTEC.
- British parliamentarians commemorated the 750th birth anniversary of Vedanta Desika, one of India’s leading spiritual masters.
- A 13th century spiritual leader of the Sri Vaishnava sect in the post-Ramanuja period, Desika was also a poet and a philosopher.
- Dr Harsh Vardhan unveiled a state-of-the-art Air Quality and Weather Forecast System– SAFAR (System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting) at Chandni Chowk in Delhi on July 21, 2018.
- Dr Harsh Vardhan is the Minister of Science & Technology, Earth Sciences; Environment, Forest & Climate Change.
- In addition to monitoring and forecasting of regular air quality and weather parameters, the Chandni Chowk air quality station will also measure sun’s UV-Index and will provide measurement of online automatic ultrafine particles PM1 and Mercury, both of which have direct relevance to human health.
- The system, first of its kind in the country, was developed indigenously in record time by Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pune and operationalized by India Meteorological Department (IMD).
- Facebook will launch Athena, its own Internet satellite, early in 2019, as part of its plan to connect billions of people who are still offline.
- Athena will provide broadband internet connections to rural and under-served areas.
- India’s trio of Trisha Deb, Muskan Kirar and Jyothi Surekha fell short by an agonizing one point against France to settle for a silver medal in the women’s compound team final of the Archery World Cup – Stage 4 in Berlin.