Current Affairs Update 02 July 2018
Current Affairs is an important part for many exams. Be prepared for this section with ByScoop which brings all the important Current Affairs in one place. 02 July 2018.
Jharkhand to set up India’s first dedicated Khadi mall
- Jharkhand will set up its first ‘khadi mall’ in the state to boost market for khadi and khadi made products.
- Land in the Heavy Engineering Corporation (HEC) campus will be made available to the Khadi Board to develop the country’s first Khadi mall.
China’s Mount Fanjingshan added to UNESCO World Heritage List
- Mount Fanjingshan, situated in China’s southwestern province of Guizhou, was included in the World Heritage List at the 42nd World Heritage Committee meeting in Bahrain.
- The IUCN or the International Union for Conservation of Nature is the official advisory body on the natural sites of the UNESCO heritage committee.
Delhi launches ‘Happiness Curriculum’ for schools
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal launched the “Happiness Curriculum” for students of nursery to Class 8 in government schools. The curriculum was launched in the presence of the Dalai Lama.
- Students across schools can expect a ‘happiness’ period of 45 minutes. Each class will begin with a five-minute meditation session. The happiness period will also include value education and mental exercises.
Lok Sabha members can now ask only up to five questions per day
- Lok Sabha members can ask only up to five questions per day now from the upcoming session of the House instead of ten allowed till now.
- If a member gives notices for asking more than five questions on a day, the remaining questions would be allowed to be raised the following day.
Hindi fastest growing language in India; Kashmiri next
- According to news census data, Hindi has become the fasting growing language in India by adding close to 10 crore speakers between 2001 and 2011.
- Hindi grew at the rate of 25.19 percent followed closely by Kashmiri (22.97 percent), Gujarat (20.4 percent), Manipuri (20.07 percent), and Bengali (16.63 percent).
- Hindi is the most spoken language in the country and Bengali the second most spoken language. Sanskrit remains the least spoken among the scheduled languages.
‘Commercial tax at your doorstep’ launched in UP on GST day
- The Uttar Pradesh government on GST Day i.e July 01, 2018 launched ‘Commercial tax at your doorstep’ (Vaanijya Kar, Aapke dwaar) scheme under which officials of the department will personally contact the traders and resolve their problems.
- This is a 2 months programme from July 1 to August 31.
BSE, BME tie-up to develop commodity derivatives markets
- Bombay Stock Exchange has entered into an agreement with the Bombay Metal Exchange (BME) for the growth and systematic development of commodity derivatives markets.
- BSE and BME will work jointly on initiatives to deepen the understanding of commodity market among stakeholders.
T Latha appointed MD & CEO of Dhanlaxmi Bank
- Dhanlaxmi Bank Limited has appointed T Latha as the Managing Director & CEO. She has taken over from G Sreeram, who has retired from the office on July 1, 2018.
- Latha has 35 years of banking experience with Punjab National Bank across a host of roles and responsibilities including Branch Management, Regional Management and National Level Credit Management handling a portfolio of around Rs 400 billion.
- Headquarters- Thrissur, Kerala
Vishwas Patel appointed Chairman of Payments Council of India
- Payments Council of India (PCI), has appointed Vishwas Patel as its new chairman.
- Payments Council of India (PCI) is an apex body representing the companies in the payments and settlement system.
- Loney Antony has been appointed as co-chairman of PCI.
Rahul Dravid inducted into ICC Hall of Fame
- Cricketer Rahul Dravid of India, Ricky Ponting of Australia and retired England woman wicketkeeper-batter Claire Taylor were inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame.
- Rahul Dravid is the fifth Indian to be inducted to the group that includes cricketing legends such as Sunil Gavaskar, Bishan Singh Bedi, Kapil Dev and Anil Kumble.
- 87 cricketers are the part of ICC Hall of fame.
Former Navy chief Admiral Jayant Ganpat Nadkarni passes away at 86
- Former Indian Navy chief, Admiral Jayant Ganpat Nadkarni passed away at 86.
01 July – National Doctors Day
- 01 July- National Doctors Day
- Theme 2018- Zero tolerance to violence against doctors and clinical establishment.
- India celebrates the National Doctors’ Day on July 1 to honour the legendary physician, freedom fighter and the second Chief Minister of West Bengal, Dr Bidhan Chandra Roy.