Current Affairs 20 May 2020
Daily Current Affairs 20 May 2020: We have collected the latest current affairs for 20 May 2020 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the daily current affairs on our mobile app.
To be super updated you can read this news as and when they are posted as single news on Current Affairs 247 site. It is a part of ByScoop.com
NDMA launches online dashboard NMIS for tracking migrants’ movements
- The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) has developed an online dashboard “National Migrant Information System (NMIS)”, on the existing NDMA-GIS portal.
- The portal will capture the information regarding the migrants labourers to facilitate their smooth movement across States
- It will act as a central repository and help the sending as well as receiving State/district to ask for and give their acceptance in an online format seamlessly.
Mysore, Indore, Surat among 6 cities declared as ‘5-star garbage-free cities’
- The Union Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs, Hardeep Singh Puri announced results of garbage-free star rating of cities on 19 May 2020.
- The garbage-free star rating initiative was launched under the Swachh Bharat Mission to achieve the goal garbage-free nation.
- A city can be declared as “Garbage Free” if it complies with the conditions as prescribed under this protocol.
- The star rating is based on 25 key parameters and ranges from 1 star, 3 star, 5 star and 7 star.
- Ambikapur (Chhattisgarh), Rajkot, Surat, Mysore, Indore and Navi Mumbai have got the ‘5-star garbage-free cities’ rating.
- Karnal, New Delhi, Tirupati, Vijayawada, Chandigarh, Bhilai Nagar, Ahmedabad are among ‘three-star garbage free rating.
- The cities with one star garbage free ratings include:
- Andhra Pradesh: GVMC Visakhapatnam, Sattenapalli, Chiralla, Palamaneru
- Chattisgarh: Berla, Baramkela, Chikhalakasa, Katghora, Pakhanjur
- New Delhi: Delhi Cantt
- Haryana: Rohtak
- Madhya Pradesh: Gwalior, Bandawar, Sardarpur, Maheshwar, Hathod, Khandwa, Shahganj
- Uttar Pradesh: Noida, Gajraula, Ghaziabad, Aligarh, Lucknow, Jhansi
Madhya Pradesh launches Charan Paduka Campaign for migrant Labourers
- In a first of its kind of initiative, the Madhya Pradesh police has started Charan Paduka (चरण पादुका) campaign for the migrant labourers passing through the state.
- Under the Charan Paduka campaign, the migrant labourers going barefoot are being provided shoes and slippers by the police to reduce their pain.
- The campaign was started from the Rau Police Station of Indore and has spread in many cities of MP including Damoh, Umaria and Sagar.
India donates $2 million to UNRWA for Palestinian refugees Amid COVID-19
- India has extended USD 2 million in aid to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) for the welfare of Palestinian refugees, amidst the coronavirus crisis.
- UNRWA provides education, health care, relief and social services to Palestinian refugees in Near East.
- India’s contribution was handed over by India’s representative to Palestine Sunil Kumar to Chief of Donor Relations of UNRWA Marc Lassouaoui.
- India increased its annual contribution to the UNRWA from USD 1.25 million in 2016 to USD 5 million in 2019.
- It pledged another USD 5 million for 2020, opening the way to become a member of the Agency’s Advisory Commission.
- United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) headquarter – Amman, Jordan
Banking & Economy
RBI extends KYC norms to Housing Finance Companies
- The Reserve Bank of India has announced that the Know Your Customer (KYC) guidelines/norms will now be applicable to Housing Finance Companies also.
- It must be noted that the Regulation of Housing Finance Companies (HFCs) was transferred from the National Housing Bank to RBI in August 2019.
- And KYC norms are applicable to all Regulated Entities of the RBI and hence it has now been made applicable on Housing Finance Companies also.
Government Notifies Cut in EPF Contribution to 10% Three Months till July 2020
- The Ministry of Labour & Employment has announced a cut in the rate of employees’ provident fund (EPF) contributions to 10 percent from the existing 12 percent, for three months till July 2020. This means that the new rate would be applicable on May-June-July salary period.
- The existing rate of contribution by both employee and employer is 12%.
- The decision is estimated to infuse liquidity of Rs 6,750 crore in next three months.
- This reduction of the EPF contributions will be applicable for those workers who are not eligible for 24 percent EPF support under PM Garib Kalyan Package and its extension.
- However, the Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSEs) and public sector undertakings (PSUs) will continue to contribute 12 percent.
India’s Chief Hydrographer Vice Admiral Vinay Badhwar wins Top UK award
- Vice Admiral Vinay Badhwar, the National Hydrographer to the Government of India, has been honored with the 2019 Alexander Dalrymple Award, by United Kingdom Hydrographic Office (UKHO).
- He has been awarded in recognition of his outstanding contribution to Indian hydrography and across the wider Indian Ocean region.
- The award is named after the first Hydrographer of the British Admiralty, Alexander Dalrymple and was first presented in 2006.
- Recipients of the award are selected by the Executive Committee of the UKHO for their efforts in raising the standards of hydrography, cartography, and navigation around the world.
Appointment & Resignation
Rajesh Goel appointed as Director General of Real Estate body NAREDCO
- Rajesh Goel has been appointed as the Director General (DG) of the National Real Estate Development Council (NAREDCO), a self-regulatory realtors body under the aegis of Housing And Urban Affairs Government of India.
- NAREDCO and CREDAI are the two major associations of real estate developers across the country.
Thomas Thabane Resigns as Prime Minister of Lesotho
- The Prime Minister of Lesotho, Thomas Thabane has resigned, as leader of the small southern African mountain kingdom, on 19 May 2020.
- Thabane and his current wife are suspected of conspiring to murder his former wife nearly three years ago, thus evolving political crises in the country.
- Lesotho’s Finance Minister Moeketsi Majoro has been named by parliament as the interim PM of the country.
- Lesotho capital – Maseru
- Currency – Lesotho loti
Books & Author
Ruskin Bond’s new book ‘Hop On: My Adventures on Boats, Trains and Planes’ Released on his 86th Birthday
- Popular author Ruskin Bond’s new book titled “Hop On: My Adventures on Boats, Trains and Planes”, was released on 19 May 2020 in an e-book format, to celebrate the occasion of his 86th birthday.
- The book narrates some of his memorable travel adventures on boats, trains and planes from his childhood.
- It contains illustrations by Samrat Halder and is published by Speaking Tiger’s children’s imprint Talking Cub.
World Bee Day : May 20
- The World Bee Day is celebrated every year on May 20 to acknowledge the role of bees and other pollinators for the ecosystem.
- The theme of World Bee Day 2020 is “Save the Bees”.
- The day also marks the birth anniversary of Anton Janša, the pioneer of beekeeping, who was born on 20 May 1734.
- The day was proposed by Slovenia and proclaimed by UN Member States in December 2017.