Daily Current Affairs 18 March 2020: We have collected the latest current affairs for 18 March 2020 that are important for all competitive exams like Bank, SSC, IBPS, SBI exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the daily current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 18 March 2020
The Philippines becomes the first country to close its financial market over coronavirus fears
- The Philippines has become the first country to close its financial market over coronavirus fears.
- The Philippines (Capital- Manila; Currency- Philippine peso) has suspended trade on its local stock exchange from March 17, 2020.
- Trading is suspended starting March 17 “until further notice”.
MoS Mansukh Mandaviya Inaugurates ‘Ropax’ Ferry Service between Mumbai and Mandwa in Maharashtra
- The Union Minister of State for Shipping (I/C), Mansukh Mandaviya launched the Roll on-Roll off cum Passenger Ferry Service, also called ‘ROPAX’, between Bhaucha Dhakka, Mumbai to Mandwa, Alibag on 15 March 2020.
- ROPAX service is a ‘Water Transport Service Project’, under Eastern Waterfront Development.
- The vessel has been built in Greece. It can carry 200 cars and 1,000 passengers, and is capable of plying even during monsoon.
- The distance between Mumbai to Mandwa is 110 kilometres and takes 3 to 4 hours by road. The waterway service will reduce this distance to about 18 kilometre, taking just an hour.
- The ROPAX service will also reduce vehicular emission and traffic on the road.
Kerala launches ‘break the chain’ campaign to combat coronavirus
- Kerala government has launched a mass handwashing campaign named ‘break the chain’ in a bid to contain the spread of COVID-19 virus across the state.
- The campaign aims to educate people about the importance of public and personal hygiene.
- Under this campaign, the Kerala State government has installed water taps at public spots with hand wash bottles. Sanitisers have also been made available in all offices.
Microsoft, NASSCOM launches Innovate for Accessible India campaign
- Microsoft India and NASSCOM Foundation have launched the Innovate for Accessible India campaign to empower people with disabilities.
- The campaign aims at empowering people with disabilities with the technology and tools required for better integration into society and access to equal opportunities.
- The campaign is in partnership with Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Department of Science and Technology, and National Research and Education Network.
Flipkart Joins Hand with Aegon to sell digital life insurance policies
- E-commerce major Flipkart has partnered with Aegon Life Insurance to sell paperless life insurance policies on its platform.
- The product aims to make life insurance available to customers at the click of a button in a convenient and transparent manner, without the requirement of medical tests or paperwork.
- All the existing Flipkart customers, aged between 18 and 65 years, can buy an instant digital policy with a sum assured of upto 10 lakh from March 2020.
- The new life insurance policies will be available with sums assured ranging from Rs 1 lakh to Rs 10 lakh.
- The premiums will be starting from Rs 129 for Rs 1 lakh sum insured.
Moody predicts India’s GDP growth at 5.3% for 2020, 5.8% in 2021
- Moody’s Investors Service has predicted India’s GDP growth rate for Calendar Year 2020 at 5.3% and for Calendar Year 2021 at 5.8%.
- Moody has downgraded the GDP estimates for 2020 on account of the Coronavirus outbreak.
Ravinder Singh Dhillon appointed as CMD of Power Finance Corporation (PFC)
- Ravinder Singh Dhillon has been appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of Power Finance Corporation (PFC).
- The appointment has been made by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Power Finance Corporation Ltd. is an Indian financial institution. It was established in 1986 and is the financial backbone of Indian Power Sector. PFC is India’s largest NBFC and also India’s largest Infrastructure Finance Company.
President nominates ex-CJI Ranjan Gogoi to Rajya Sabha
- The President of India has nominated former Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi to Rajya Sabha. He has been nominated in the Law feild.
- In total there are 245 members of Rajya Sabha of which 12 are nominated by the President in various fields and 233 members are elected by the Vidhan Sabha members.
- Ranjan Gogai has been appointed to fill the vacancy caused due to the retirement of KTS Tulsi.
Veteran Malayalam Poet and Scholar Puthussery Ramachandran passes away at 91
- Veteran poet and Malayalam scholar Puthussery Ramachandran passed away due to age-related ailments. He was 91.
- Ramachandran was was among the forerunners who revolutionalised Malayalam literature during the Indian freedom struggle.
- He also played an instrumental role in helping Malayalam secure the status of a Classical Language.
- Ramachandran has won many prestigious awards, including the Sahitya Akademi award.
Amjad Khan’s Brother and Veteran Actor Imtiaz Khan Passes Away at 77
- Veteran actor and filmmaker Imtiaz Khan has passed away at the age of 77.
- He was the brother of late actor Amjad Khan and was married to popular fil and television actress Krutika Desai.
- Imtiaz Khan was known for his performances in films like Yaadon Ki Baarat, Dharmatma and Noor Jahan to name a few.
Marathi Actor Jairam Kulkarni passes away at 88
- Veteran Marathi actor Jairam Kulkarni passed away at the age of 88.
- He is known for his contributions in the Marathi cinema with films like ‘Thartharat’, and ‘Rangat Sangat.’
Veteran Journalist and Kannada Activist Patil Puttappa Passes Away at 99
- Veteran journalist and former Rajya Sabha member and activist based in Hubli, Patil Puttappa passed away due to age-related ailments. He was 99.
- Fondly referred to as “PaPu”, Puttappa represented Karnataka in the Rajya Sabha for two terms (1962 to 1974).
- He was the founder-editor of the now-defunct Kannada daily Vishwavani and weekly Prapancha.
Ordnance Factories’ Day in India: 18 March
Quick Revision – Current Affairs 18 March 2020
1. The Philippines becomes the first country to close its financial market over coronavirus fears
2. MoS Mansukh Mandaviya Inaugurates ‘Ropax’ Ferry Service between Mumbai and Mandwa in Maharashtra
3. Kerala launches ‘break the chain’ campaign to combat coronavirus
4. Microsoft, NASSCOM launches Innovate for Accessible India campaign
5. Flipkart Joins Hand with Aegon to sell digital life insurance policies
6. Moody predicts India’s GDP growth at 5.3% for 2020, 5.8% in 2021
7. Ravinder Singh Dhillon appointed as CMD of Power Finance Corporation (PFC)
8. President nominates ex-CJI Ranjan Gogoi to Rajya Sabha
9. Veteran Malayalam Poet and Scholar Puthussery Ramachandran passes away at 91
10. Amjad Khan’s Brother and Veteran Actor Imtiaz Khan Passes Away at 77
11. Marathi Actor Jairam Kulkarni passes away at 88
12. Veteran Journalist and Kannada Activist Patil Puttappa Passes Away at 99
13. Ordnance Factories’ Day in India: 18 March