Daily Current Affairs 16 April 2019: We have collected the latest current affairs for 16 April 2019 that are important for all competitive exams like bank, ssc, ibps, sbi exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 16 April 2019
18th HOME EXPO INDIA 2019 Begins in Noida
- The 8th edition of Home Expo India 2019 began at the India Expo Centre and Mart in Greater Noida on April 16.
- The three-day exhibition has been organized by the Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts (EPCH) and will conclude on 18 April, 2019.
- Buyers from more than 50 countries will visit the expo which covers sectors with maximum thrust and growth potential in home décor, furnishing, furniture, flooring, and textiles.
- EPCH is the nodal export promotion body for handicrafts in India with the main objective of boosting trade in handicrafts.
4th Resilient Cities Asia-Pacific 2019 Congress Being Held in New Delhi
- The 4th Resilient Cities Asia-Pacific (RCAP) 2019 Congress is being hosted in New Delhi by South Delhi Municipal Corporation from April 15-17, 2019.
- It is for the first time that the event is being held in India. It has been organised by ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability headquartered at Bonn, Germany.
- The Congress provides a platform for urban resilience and climate change adaptation for cities & regions from Asia-Pacific through a variety of innovative solutions that build resilience to climate change at the subnational level.
- The first RCAP was held in Bangkok, Thailand in February 2015, followed by Melaka, Malaysia in March 2016 and in Vietnam in December 2017.
India’s First Interactive Exotic Bird Park Inaugurated at Essel World Mumbai
- EsselWorld Bird Park, India’s first exotic and interactive bird park, has been launched at Gorai village, Borivali in Mumbai.
- It is a first of its kind rain forest-themed park spread across 1.4 acres is home to over 500 exotic birds from more than 60 species.
- These birds roam freely providing, visitors and bird enthusiasts an opportunity of watching and interacting with the birds from very close distance.
Fincare SFB and Paytm Payments Bank wins Celent Model Bank 2019 Award
- Celent Model Bank 2019 Awards has been announced by Celent in New York. 22 Banks from across the world have been awarded in different categories. Two banks from India has won the awards. The details are:
- Fincare Small Finance Bank, India – has won the Celent Model Bank 2019 Award under Financial Inclusion category for its LAP (Loans Against Property) D.Lite initiative. It is a tab-based solution designed and developed in-house by Fincare SFB for origination and instant underwriting of loans against property targeted at micro and small enterprises.
- Paytm Payments Bank, India has won the award under Beyond Banking category for its “Building a Truly Digital Bank for India” initiative.
Bandhan Bank gets CCI approval to acquire Gruh Finance
- Bandhan Bank has received the approval of the Competition Commission of India (CCI) for the proposed acquisition of Gruh Finance on April 15, 2019.
- Gruh Finance, the affordable housing finance arm of HDFC Ltd, was taken over in January by Bandhan Bank in a share-swap deal.
- The merger deal will reduce the shareholding of Bandhan Bank’s promoter Bandhan Financial Holdings’ in Bandhan Bank to about 61% from the current 82%.
- Post merger, HDFC will hold 14.9% stake in the merged entity from about 57% in Gruh Finance.
- The shareholders of Gruh Finance will get 568 shares of Bandhan Bank for every 1,000 shares held.
Rajesh Yaduvanshi Takes Over as Executive Director of Punjab National Bank
- Punjab National Bank (PNB) has appointed Rajesh Kumar Yaduvanshi as the Executive Director of the bank with effect from April 15, 2019
- PNB now has three Executive Directors including L V Prabhakar and A K Azad.
- Yaduvanshi has also worked as the Executive Director of Dena Bank.
Winners of 2019 Pulitzer Prizes Announced
- The Pulitzer Prizes is an award for achievements in newspaper, magazine and online journalism, literature, and musical composition in the United States.
- The Prizes are awarded every year in twenty-one categories.
Mithali Raj is goodwill ambassador for SCCWC 2019
- Indian Woman Cricketer Mithali Raj has been named as the goodwill ambassador of the Indian team for the Street Child Cricket World Cup 2019. It will be held at the Lord’s Cricket Ground, London, England.
- Former Indian Captain Saurav Ganguly is also a goodwill ambassador for the SCCWC 2019.
- The first Cricket World Cup for street connected children will take place just before of the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup in England and Wales.
Former ISRO Scientist and Padma Shri awardee Dr SK Shivakumar Passes Away
- The veteran space scientist and former Director at the Indian Space Research Organisation Satellite Center (ISAC), Dr SK Shivakumar, passed away after brief illness. He was 66.
- The Mysuru based Dr Shivakumar was part of the team that developed the telemetry system for India’s first lunar exploration mission, Chandrayaan-I.
- He has served as director of two of Indian Space Research Organisation’s (ISRO) centres namely ISAC and ISTRAC.
- Dr Shivakumar was awarded the prestigious Padma Shri in 2010.