Daily Current Affairs 11 April 2019: We have collected the latest current affairs for 11 April 2019 that are important for all competitive exams like bank, ssc, ibps, sbi exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 11 April 2019
NGT Constitues Central Monitoring Committee to Prepare National Plan for Polluted Rivers
- The Nation Green Tribunal (NGT) bench headed by Chairperson Justice Adarsh Kumar Goel, has formed a Central Monitoring Committee that will prepare and implement a national plan to make over 350 river stretches across the country pollution free.
- The committee would comprise a representative of NITI Aayog; Secretaries of Ministry of Water Resources, Ministry of Urban Development and Ministry of Environment; Director General of National Mission for Clean Ganga and Chairman of Central Pollution Control Board.
- The NGT has directed the Central Monitoring Committee to give its report by July 31, while the first meeting of the Committee may be held by June 30.
Google Pay Partners MMTC-PAMP India to Launch Gold Buying for Indian Users
- Tech giant Google has partnered with bullion refiner MMTC-PAMP India on April 11, 2019, to enable the users of Google Pay to buy and sell gold through the app.
- MMTC-PAMP India is first and only LBMA (London Bullion Market Association) accredited for Gold and Silver refinery in India.
- The partnership will allow Google Pay users to buy 99.99 percent 24-karat gold for any value and that will be stored on behalf of the user, by MMTC-PAMP, in secure vaults.
- The users can buy and sell this gold any time at the latest price, refreshed every few minutes, as displayed on Google Pay app.
- Paytm, Mobikwik and PhonePe already offers such service to its users.
India’s Population Rises at Average Annual Rate of 1.2% between 2010-2019: UN Report
- According to the United Nations Population Fund’s (UNFP) State of World Population 2019 report, India’s population grew at an average annual rate of 1.2 percent between 2010 and 2019 to 1.36 billion.
- India’s population stood at 942.2 million in 1994, 541.5 million in 1969 and 1.36 billion in 2019.
- Also, the world’s most populous country China’s population increased at an average annual rate of 0.5% between 2010 and 2019.
- China’s population rose from 1.23 billion in 1994 and 803.6 million in 1969 to 1.42 billion in 2019.
- United Nations Population Fund Headquarter – New York, United States
European Union & UK Agree to Extend Brexit Deadline Till 31 October 2019
- The United Kingdom and the other 27 European Union member states have agreed to extend Brexit until October 31, 2019. The decision was taken at an emergency Summit held on April 10 between the member nations in Brussels, Belgium.
- The deadline for UK’s exit from EU was originally set on 29 March 2019, which was later extended to 12 April 2019 and then to 31 October 2019.
- In March, British Prime Minister Theresa May had requested the European Union to grant the United Kingdom a short term extension till June 30 to prevent the U.K. leaving the bloc without a deal, because the British Parliament has repeatedly failed to decide on the terms of the exit.
- If United Kingdom stays beyond May 22, it will have to take part in European Parliament elections in May 2019 or else leave the bloc on June 1 without deal.
- If the extension had not been agreed to, Britain would have left the bloc without a deal on April 12.
Vikram Nath Appointed new Chief Justice of Andhra Pradesh High Court
- The seniormost judge of the Allahabad High Court, Justice Vikram Nath, has been appointed as the Chief Justice of the newly constituted Andhra Pradesh High Court.
- 56-year-old Justice Nath will take over as the full fledged Chief Justive from acting CJ C. Praveen Kumar.
- Justice Praveen Kumar became the first CJ of the A.P. High Court, which came into existence on January 1, 2019 following the division of a combined high court for AP and Telangana.
- He was recommended for the post by a collegium of Supreme Court comprising Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi and judges S A Bobde and N V Ramana.
- Apart from the chief justice, Andhra Pradesh High Court has 15 judges.
Telugu Poet K Siva Reddy Selected for the Prestigious Saraswati Samman 2018
- Telugu poet K Siva Reddy has been named to be conferred with the prestigious Saraswati Samman 2018 for his collection of poetry titled Pakkaki Ottigilite (Turning Aside While Lying Down).
- The award carries a cash prize of 15 lakh rupees, a citation and a plaque.
- Saraswati Samman is one of the highest literary awards, instituted by the KK Birla Foundation in 1991.
- It is given annually for an outstanding literary work written in any 22 Indian language listed in Schedule VIII of the Constitution of India and published during the last 10 years.
Paralympics medallist Deepa Malik Conferred New Zealand PM’s Sir Edmund Hillary Fellowship
- 2016 Rio Paralympics silver medallist Deepa Malik has been named as the recipient of the New Zealand Prime Minister’s Sir Edmund Hillary Fellowship for 2019 in recognition of her “inspiring achievements”.
- The 48-year-old Indian Paralympic athlete, Deepa Malik, will work to promote sporting, cultural as well people-to-people relationship between India and New Zealand.
- Deepa won the silver medal in shot put F53 event in Rio Paralympics 2016.
India’s Ace Motorsport Photographer George Francis Passes Away at 57
- George Francis, the veteran Indian motorsport photographer passed away in Chennai following a brief illness. He was 57.
- The first race attended was in 1984 at Sholavaram while his last major assignment was the MRF Challenge in February 2019 at the MMRT, Chennai.