Daily Current Affairs 17 March 2019: We have collected the latest current affairs for 17 March 2019 that are important for all competitive exams like bank, ssc, ibps, sbi exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 17 March 2019
‘FeFA Girls’ Initiate launched in Telangana to malnutrition among adolescent girls
- An initiative named ‘FeFA Girls’ has been launched in Telangana to tackle a low iron level and malnutrition among adolescent girls of the state.
- The initiative has been launched by the National Institute of Nutrition (NIN) and the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (Icrisat).
- FeFA Girls (with Fe being the scientific symbol for iron and, FA, for Adolescent). The initiative will target girls in the age group of 16 to 19 years from social welfare hostels in Telangana.
Justice P.C. Ghose to be India’s first Lokpal
- Justice Pinaki Chandra Ghose has been recommended to be the first Lokpal or anti-corruption ombudsman of India by the Selection Committee. He is a retired judge of Supreme Court of India.
- The selection committee consisted of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi, Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan and jurist Mukul Rohatgi. Congress leader Mallikarjun Kharge was also a part of the committee, however, he did not attend the meeting.
- Lokpal Act was notified on January 16, 2014 to probe cases of corruption against public servants. The act mandates for the appointment of a Lokpal (ombudsman) at the central level and Lokayuktas in states for such probes.
SCO Member States to Hold ‘Sary-Arka-Antiterror 2019′ in Kazakhstan
- The members of the Shanghai Cooperation Orgnisation (SCO), including India, Pakistan and China, will take part in a joint counter-terrorism exercise ‘Sary-Arka-Antiterror 2019’.
- The exercise is likely to be held in grasslands of Kazakhstan in the Sary Arka region. The date for the exercise has not been specified yet.
- The announcement regarding the exercise was made during the 34th meeting of the SCO’s Regional Anti-Terrorist Structure (RATS) held in Tashkent in Uzbekistan on March 15.
- SCO Member States: China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Russia, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, India and Pakistan.
- The second edition of BusinessLine Changemaker Awards was held in New Delhi on March 15, 2019.
- Former Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh was the chief guest of the occasion and presented the awards to the winners.
- The GST Council was conferred with the flagship Changemaker of the Year Award 2019, which was received by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, on behalf of the Council.
- The awards were given in five categories.
Tata Group Tops India’s 40 Most Valuable Brands List 2019 by Interbrand
- Tata, Reliance and Airtel have emerged as the top Indian brands in ‘The Best Indian Brands 2019’ list complied by Interbrand India, a brand consultancy firm.
- The list includes India’s Top 40 Most Valuable Brands.
- The ranking is based on three key components namely financial performance, the brand’s role in influencing customer choice and strength, and the premium price that the brand commands.
List of Top 10 Most Valuable Brands
- Tata Group
- Reliance Industries
- HDFC Bank
- Life Insurance Corporation (LIC)
- State Bank of India
- ICICI Bank
Valtteri Bottas wins Australian Grand Prix 2019 Championship
- Valtteri Bottas of Finland (Mercedes) has won the Australian Grand Prix 2019 Championship. This was the first Formula One championship event of the year 2019.
Goa CM Manohar Parrikar Passes Away at 63
- The Chief Minister of Goa, Manohar Parrikar passe away on March 17, 2019 at the age of 63 years, after a long battle with pancreatic cancer.
- Manohar Parrikar was the former defence minister of India. He has served as the Chief Minister of Goa for four times.
Journalist, environmentalist Darryl D’Monte passed away at 74
- Darryl D’Monte, a journalist and environmental activist passed away at the age of 74.
- He had worked for ‘The Times of India’ and ‘Indian Express’. A book titled ‘Ripping the Fabric’ has been authored by him. He had taken some major initiatives for the solution of environmental issues too.
Former Andhra Pradesh Minister YS Vivekananda Reddy Passes Away
- YS Vivekananda Reddy, a former minister in the Andhra Pradesh government, was found murdered at his residence on March 15, 2019. He was 68.
- He was a member of the YSR Congress Party and the younger brother of former Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Rajasekhara Reddy.