India’s ‘First Coffee’ Along with Four Others Obtains GI Tag
- The Geographical Indications Registry granted the Geographical Indication (GI) tag to the following varieties of coffee on March 1, 2019.
- Bababudangiri Arabica Coffee – Chikmagalur district, Karnataka (also known as birthplace of coffee in India)
- Chikmagalur Arabica Coffee – Chikmagalur district, Karnataka
- Coorg Arabica Coffee – Kodagu district, Karnataka
- Wayanad Robusta Coffee – Wayanad district, Kerala
- Araku Valley Arabica Coffee – around Visakhapatnam district, Andhra Pradesh and Koraput district, Odisha