Daily Current Affairs 14 March 2019: We have collected the latest current affairs for 13 March 2019 that are important for all competitive exams like bank, ssc, ibps, sbi exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 14 March 2019
RBI identifies SBI, ICICI and HDFC Bank as Domestic Systemically Important Banks (D-SIBs)
- The Reserve Bank of India has released the list of Domestic Systemically Important Banks (D-SIBs).
- Domestic Systemically Important Banks are those banks which if fails would have a significant impact on the economy. RBI has a various set of criteria to add a bank to this list. The basic condition is that a bank size should be more than 2% of Indian GDP.
- The D-SIBs banks are classified into 5 buckets. Bucket 1, Bucket 2, Bucket 3, Bucket 4 and Bucket 5. With Bucket 5 being the most important followed by rest in decreasing order.
- State Bank of India is in Bucket 3, while HDFC and ICICI Bank both are in Bucket 1. Rest all buckets are empty. These three banks are in the D-SIBs list since Sep 04, 2017. No new bank has been added after the revised list is released on March 14, 2019.
RBI categorises IDBI Bank Ltd as Private Sector Bank
- IDBI Bank Limited has been re-categorized as a ‘Private Sector Bank’ for regulatory purposes by the Reserve Bank of India, This comes after LIC has purchased 51% of the total paid-up equity share capital of the bank.
- Now RBI will regulate IDBI bank as per the rules applicable on Private Banks. With this now there are 22 Private Sector Banks in India.
- LIC Holds 51% stake in IDBI, Government holds 46.46% stake and the remaining 2.54% is held by the public.
United States Announces to Set Up Six Nuclear Power Plants in India
- United States will be setting up six American nuclear power plants in India to strengthen bilateral security and civil nuclear cooperation between the two nations.
- The joint statement for the same was signed at the 9th round of the India-US Strategic Security Dialogue held in Washington DC on March 13, 2019.
- India and the US had signed a historic agreement to cooperate in civil nuclear energy sector in October 2008. United States is also committed to support India’s early membership in the 48-member NSG.
Six Indians Recognized in WEF’s Young Global Leaders 2019 List
- The World Economic Forum has recognized six Indians in its 2019 list of the Forum of Young Global Leaders. They includes:
- Nara Lokesh – Andhra Pradesh IT minister
- Poonam Mahajan – BJP MP
- Manu Kumar Jain – Xiaomi India head
- Phanindra Sama – Telangana government’s Chief Innovation Officer
- Piyush Tewari – Founder of SaveLife Foundation
- Sucharita Mukherjee – Kaleidofin’s co-Founder
- Launched by WEF in 2004, the 2019 list features 127 of the world’s “most promising social activists, business leaders, public servants, artists and technologists under the age of 40.
Karnataka’s ‘Sirsi Supari’ Gets Geographic Indication (GI) tag
- Arecanut, which is also known as supari or betel nut, is the latest sector to enter into the Geographic Indication (GI) tag list.
- The Registrar of Geographical Indications issued Geographic Indication (GI) tag on March 4, 2019 to the ‘Sirsi Supari’ grown in Uttara Kannada district of Karnataka.
- This ‘Sirsi Supari’ is a specialty of the state and is cultivated in Yellapura, Siddapura and Sirsi taluks.
DRDO Conducts Successful Test Firing of Man Portable Anti Tank Guided Missile
- The indigenously developed, low weight, fire and forget ‘Man Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile’ (MPATGM) was successfully test fired by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) on March 14, 2019 in the ranges of Rajasthan desert.
- This was the second successful testing of the missile. The first test was conducted on March 13, 2019.
- The third-generation ATGM, having fire and forget capability has been incorporated with advanced features including state-of-the-art Imaging Infrared Radar (IIR) Seeker.
- It was developed by Defence Research and Development Laboratory (DRDL), Hyderabad with support from other DRDO laboratories.
M R Kumar appointed as Chairman of LIC
- M.R. Kumar has been appointed as the new Chairman of Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC). He will hold the post for the next 5 years.
- Before him, Hemant Bhargava was the interim Chairman of LIC since the retirement of V.K. Sharma the then Chairman on December 31, 2018.
- Apart from this T C Suseel Kumar and Vipin Anand have been appointed as Managing Directors of the LIC
PS Narasimha appointed as mediator to resolve disputes of cricket administration in BCCI
- The Honorable Supreme Court has appointed P S Narasimha as a mediator for resolving various disputes related to cricket administration for the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).
- P S Narasimha is a senior advocate.
World Kidney Day 2019 Observed on March 14
- World Kidney Day – held annually on the second Thursday in March. In 2019, the day is being observed on March 14.
- Theme 2019 – ‘Kidney Health for Everyone Everywhere’.
- Purpose – Create awareness about the importance of kidneys and reducing the frequency and impact of kidney diseases.
Veteran Art Historian and Picasso Biographer John Richardson Passes Away at 95
- Sir John Patrick Richardson, the British art historian and Picasso biographer, passed away in New York City on 12 March 2019. He was 95.
- He was known for writing multi volume biography of Pablo Picasso under the name A Life of Picasso.
- Pablo Picasso was a Spanish painter, sculptor, printmaker, ceramicist, stage designer, poet and playwright