Daily Current Affairs 12 March 2019: We have collected the latest current affairs for 12 March 2019 that are important for all competitive exams like bank, ssc, ibps, sbi exams. The GK current affairs will help you score more in these competitive exams. Improve your general knowledge with our daily online current affairs. You can also read the current affairs on our mobile app.
Current Affairs 12 March 2019
RBI ranked 11th in holding Gold Reserves: WGC Data
- The World Gold Council Data for the month of January 2019 shows that the Reserve Bank of India stands at 11th position in terms of Gold Reserves with 607 tonnes of Gold.
- The US (8133.5 tonnes) is on top, followed by Germany on Second and IMF on third.
- World Gold Council Headquarters- London, United Kingdom
Venkaiah Naidu Conferred with Honorary Doctorate by UN Founded University of Peace
- The Vice President of India, M. Venkaiah Naidu has been conferred with the Honorary Doctorate by the University of Peace for his contribution “to the Rule of Law, democracy and sustainable development in India”.
- The University for Peace is an intergovernmental organization with university status, founded by United Nations General Assembly in 1980.
- Naidu, who is also the Chairman of Rajya Sabha, received the degree of ‘Doctor of Philosophy’ (Doctor Honoris Causa) from the Dean of the University of Peace in San Jose, Costa Rica.
- The Centre government has allowed the state governments to use the enemy properties for public use.
- For this, Centre has made the order called ‘Guidelines for the disposal of Enemy Property Order, 2018’, that will allow state government to use enemy property exclusively for public use.
What is Enemy Property
- The property of the people who migrated to Pakistan during partition as well as to China after the Sino-India war in 1962 is known as enemy property.
- According to the data by the Home Ministry, India has 9,280 properties left behind by people who went to Pakistan and 126 such properties were left by the Chinese nationals.
- The overall worth of these properties is over Rs 1 lakh crore.
34th Edition of Aahar – the International Food and Hospitality Fair Begins in New Delhi
- The 34th edition of Aahar, the International Food and Hospitality Fair was inaugurated in New Delhi on March 12 by Union Minister Suresh Prabhu.
- The five-day fair has been organised by India Trade Promotion Organisation (ITPO) and will culminate on March 16, 2019.
- The 2019 fair will feature variety of products from over 560 participants from India and abroad including food products, machinery, new trends in food and beverage (F&B) equipment, hospitality and decor solutions, confectionary items
MoHUA partners with Microsoft for Swachh Bharat e-Learning Portal
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) has partnered with Microsoft India to use the platform Project Sangam of Microsoft on its Swachh Bharat e-Learning Portal.
- With this partnership, the MoHUA has increased the features on the Swachh Bharat e-Learning Portal. With this now MoHUA has now trained more than 110,000 municipal functionaries on best sanitation practices across 4,000 plus cities in India.
Saudi Arabia Replaces India as World’s Largest Importer of Weapons: SIPRI Report
- Saudi Arabia has become the largest importer of arms in the world, according to the report by premier Stockholm-based think tank, Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI).
- India, which held the top position for over a decade, has now dropped to second spot in the list.
- The latest report titled ‘Trends in International Arms Transfers 2018’ assessed the countries between a five-year period (2014-2018)
- Top 5 Countries in the list were Saudi Arabia, India, Egypt, Australia and Algeria respectively and accounted for 35% of total arms imports in 2014–18
- While Saudi Arabia accounted for 12% of the global share of arms imports, India stood at second place with a 9.5% share in that period.
World Wide Web (www) completes 30 years on March 12, 2019
- On March 12, 2019 the World Wide Web has completed its 30 years. It was developed by British physicist Tim Berners-Lee on March 12, 1989.
Veteran Hindi Newsreader Vinod Kashyap Passes Away at 88
Vinod Kashyap, the veteran Hindi newsreader, who served All India Radio for about 30 years, passed away following a prolonged illness. She was 88.