Abu Dhabi Adds Hindi as 3rd Official Language in Court
- The Abu Dhabi Judicial Department (ADJD) has included Hindi as the third official language alongside Arabic and English, to be used in its court.
- The move will enable millions of Indian expatriates in UAE to lodge claims and conduct other legal procedures in their own mother tongue, know their rights and duties without a language barrier and also bring transparency in litigation procedures.
- The decision is in line with project “Tomorrow 2021” that provides for a provision of bilingual forms for litigation procedures for non-Arabic parties.
- They would be required to translate court documents into English/Hindi in all civil and commercial cases lodged in Abu Dhabi courts if the defendant does not speak Arabic
Points to Remember
- Third official language of UAE court- Hindi