Current Affairs Update 11 December 2018
Current Affairs is an important part for many exams. Be prepared for this section with ByScoop which brings all the important Current Affairs in one place. 11 December 2018
- TIME Magazine has named four journalists and a new organisation as the TIME’s 2018 Person of the Year whose work has landed them in jail — or cost them their lives.
- The group has been named as: The Guardians and the War on Truth
- The four journalists and news organisation are:
4. Kyaw Soe Oo
1. Jamal Khashoggi Washington Post columnist murdered for his criticism of the Saudi crown prince. 2. Maria Ressa editor of the Philippine news website Rappler, who was indicted for her critical coverage of its president’s controversially violent policies. 3. Wa Lone Both Reuters journalists captured in Myanmar while investigating a massacre of Rohingya Muslims. 5. The Capital Gazette Maryland newspaper targeted by a gunman who killed of its five staff members in a mass shooting
4. Kyaw Soe Oo
- Sascha Bajin (Coach of Naomi Osaka of Japan) was chosen as the first winner of the WTA Coach of the Year award.
- Karen Krantzcke Sportsmanship Award: Petra Kvitova (Czech Republic)
- Peachy Kellmeyer Player Service Award: Bethanie Mattek-Sands (United States)
- WTA Tournament of the Year Award International: Prudential Hong Kong Tennis Open
- International Mountain Day: December 11 (designated by the United Nations General Assembly in 2003)
- The theme for International Mountain Day 2018 is ”#MountainsMatter”
- Purpose: to create awareness about the importance of mountains to life, to highlight the opportunities and constraints in mountain development and to build alliances that will bring positive change to mountain peoples and environments around the world.
- Professor Mushirul Hasan, a renowned historian and former vice-chancellor Jamia Millia of Islamia, passed away at the age of 71.
- Hasan won a number of awards for his work, including the Padma Shri in 2007.