Current Affairs Update 8 December 2018
Current Affairs is an important part for many exams. Be prepared for this section with ByScoop which brings all the important Current Affairs in one place. 8 December 2018
- Malala Yousafzai was felicitated with the 2018 Gleitsman Activist Award from Harvard’s Kennedy School given for activism that has improved quality of life around the world.
- In 2014, Malala became the youngest person to win the Nobel Peace Prize when she was recognised for her work supporting schooling for children.
- The prestigious Sanctuary Wildlife Service Award 2018 has been conferred on Hyderabad based wildlife conservationist Imran Siddiqui of the Wildlife Conservation Society India Program.
- Imran has been working with the Forest Departments and other government agencies facilitating conservation efforts in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana region, for 15 years.
- Shubhankar Sharma has received the 2018 Asian Tour Order of Merit on December 8, 2018.
- The Chandigarh-based Shubhankar Sharma also become the fifth and youngest Indian to top the Asian Tour money list in a particular season.
- Other Indians to receive the feat includes:Jyoti Randhawa (2002), Arjun Atwal (2003), Jeev Milkha Singh (2006 and 2008) and Anirban Lahiri (2015).
- Anirban Lahiri held the previous record of being the youngest Indian to be crowned Asia’s No.1 when he bagged the honour in 2015.
- China has launched a rover named Chang’e-4 on December 08, 2018 that is destined to land on the far side of the moon. This is first such rover to go on the far side of moon.
- The Chang’e-4 lunar probe mission — named after the moon goddess in Chinese mythology — launched on a Long March 3B rocket from the southwestern Xichang launch centre.
- Chang’e-4 will be the second Chinese probe to land on the moon, following the Yutu (“Jade Rabbit”) rover mission in 2013.
- Former Colombian President Belisario Betancur, passed away in Bogota after suffering kidney problem at the age of 95.
- He served as the President of the South American country from 1982 to 1986.
- The member states of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) celebrated 34th SAARC Charter Day on December 8, 2018.
- It was on this day on 8th December, 1985, that the leader of the Seven South Asian Countries had signed the contract (means charter) in Dhaka to set up the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC).
- The Indian Navy observes December 8 every year as the Submarine Day to commemorate the foundation day of the Indian Navy’s Submarine Arm.
- The day marks the induction of the first submarine, “INS Kalvari (S-23) into the Navy in 1967.
- INS Kalvari (S-23) – a Foxtrot class submarine was de-commissioned after 29 years of service on 31 May 1996.